Multi-cookers vary widely in price, so think about what you need this cooker to do, and pay attention to these details.
Most multi-cookers we tested have a removable pot with a nonstick coating—ceramic or Teflon-like—for easy cleaning. Instant Pot, however, uses uncoated stainless steel for its multi-cookers with pressure mode. Usually the pots are round, which means that bigger cuts of meats do not fit quite as easily they do in an oblong-shaped pot. So check the manual’s advice, or recipes online, for tips on how best to cook large cuts. Two of the models CR tested have oblong pots. However, these models do not have a pressure-cooker mode.
On the multi-cookers with pressure-cook mode, the lid (which is not transparent) is locked during pressure cooking, so you can’t check on food without stopping the cooker, allowing the pressure to release, then removing the lid. Multi-cookers without pressure mode usually have a tempered glass lid.
It typically ranges from 4 to 8 quarts, and most multi-cookers that CR tested are 6-quart models, a widely sold choice. Keep in mind that you can’t fill the pot to the top (the manual will guide you). Instant Pot, for example, says not to fill the pot higher than two-thirds, and only half-way when when cooking foods that expand, such as beans and rice. The same rule applies for foods that may foam or froth, such as oatmeal and split peas.
Manufacturers are continually adding other features, expanding the idea of what a multi-cooker can do. You’ll see these newer features on the pricier models that sell for around $200 to $250. Here’s what we’ve seen in our test labs:
• Air frying/crisping: Sales of air fryers have increased significantly in the past several years. Ninja took notice and added an air fryer/crisper feature to its Ninja Foodi OP302 multi-cooker. It has a pressure lid and a crisping lid that’s hinged to the pot. This lid houses a fan that circulates warm air inside the pot for air-frying foods such as french fries, or for browning when baking. If you quickly cook a whole chicken using the pressure-cook mode, for example, you can finish it by using the crisping lid to nicely brown and crisp the skin. Our tests found that this feature works as promised.
• Canning: The Instant Pot Max boasts a canning feature, but CR has not tested the feature. Instant Pot says that recipes used must be tested by the USDA for food safety, but their recommendations have not been tested in electric pressure cookers, according to the project director. It’s crucial to do canning right. Done improperly, canning carries the risk of botulism, a rare but potentially deadly form of food poisoning.
• Dehydrating: Removing the moisture from fruits, vegetables, and meats can make for delicious snacks. The Ninja Foodi OP302 is the only multi-cooker we tested with this feature. The process is long—6 to 8 hours for most fruits and veggies, and 5 to 7 hours for meats. CR testers tried out this feature by dehydrating two apples cut into slices, and the dried apples were tasty. But given the size of this 6.5-quart pot, you can’t dehydrate a lot of food at once, even using the multilayer rack we bought for $30.
• Sous vide: You’ll find this feature on the Instant Pot Max. Our testers used the sous vide setting to cook three boneless chicken breasts, each sealed in a plastic bag, in a bath of heated water. Three hours later the chicken was juicy and tender, and evenly cooked throughout. To learn more about sous vide cooking, see “Sous Vide Tools That Up Your Game in the Kitchen.”
- Best Electric Pressure Cooker Reviews According To Consumer Reports
- Wrapping Up
- Consumer Reports on Choosing An Electric Pressure Cooker 2020
- Best Pressure Cookers Consumer Reports: Comparison Chart
- Top 10 Best Rated Pressure Cookers for 2019
- 1. All American 921 21-1/2-Quart Pressure Cooker/Canner
- 2. Instant Pot IP-DUO60 7-in-1 Programmable Pressure Cooker – Instant Pot Reviews Consumer Reports
- 3. Cuisinart CPC-600AMZ 1000-Watt 6-Quart Electric Pressure Cooker
- 4. Presto 01781 23-Quart Pressure Canner and Cooker
- 5. Instant Pot IP-LUX60 6-in-1 Programmable Pressure Cooker – Reviews Consumer Reports
- 6. Stainless-steel Cooking Pot/ 6-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker/Slow Cooker (8 QT)
- 7. As Seen on TV PPC Power Pressure Cooker, X-Large
- 8. Secura 6-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker 6qt, 18/10 Stainless Steel Cooking Pot
- 9. Fagor 8-Quart Stainless-Steel Pressure Cooker with Steamer Basket
- What A Pressure Cooker is? How Does It Work?
- How to Choose A Best Electric Pressure Cooker?
- 10. All American
- 9. BLACK+DECKER
- 8. T-fal P45007
- 7. Presto
- 6. T-fal P31052
- 5. Presto 01370
- 4. CanCooker
- 3. NuWave
- 2. Presto 01781
- 1. Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Duo Plus
- Fissler 8.5 quart Vitaquick Pressure Cooker with Glass Lid Set
- Presto 4-quart stovetop pressure cooker
- Presto 23-Quart Pressure Canner
- Ninja Foodi Pressure Cooker, Steamer, and Air Fryer
- Sistema Microwave Multicooker
- How we test pressure cookers
- Consumer Reports tests best pressure cookers for summer meals
- How Consumer Reports Tests Multi-Cookers
- The Best Multi-Cookers Recommended by Consumer Reports
Best Electric Pressure Cooker Reviews According To Consumer Reports
There are a few factors that you need to consider when buying an electric pressure cooker, which are:
- Safety Features: Electric pressure cookers can get piping hot due to superheated steam that is produced inside the cooker, so it is must for electric pressure cooker manufacturing companies to incorporate significant safety measures to avoid any catastrophic event from taking place. You should invest in an electric pressure cooker that comes with release valves, release vents, secure lid locks, pressure indicators, and tight-fitting lids.
- Materials Used In Construction: Electric pressure cookers are either made of up aluminum or stainless steel. Where aluminum electric pressure cookers are more affordable than the stainless steel ones, they are less durable too because of aluminum stains and warps during the cooling process. Whereas, stainless steel is expensive, but is more efficient when it comes to cooking, as it distributes heat more evenly than aluminum pressure cookers.
- Capacity: Electric pressure cookers come in different sizes, so you need to identify the right size seeing the size of your family and their food consumption habits. For a family of four, a 6 quarts cooker will do the job and you can increase or decrease the size according to that equation. A point worth mentioning here is that a large cooker will take more time to cook because the time taken by it to generate sufficient steam and pressure will be more than a small cooker.
- Ignore Non-Stick Inner Pots: While non-stick surfaces are good for pans, but when it comes to pressure cookers, they aren’t. Reason being, the high temperatures at which the electric pressure cookers operate, which will peel off the non-stick layer and render the cooker useless. Moreover, non-stick accessories are not that easy to clean.
- Dishwasher Safe: With dishwashers becoming a common kitchen utility in the US, it’ll be good if you choose an electric pressure cooker that can be washed in a dishwasher, and I mean only the lid and accessories of the cooker and not the electric part.
- Heat Resistant Handles: As electric pressure cookers producing superheated steam, you don’t want to get in contact with the cooker and burn your hand. Therefore, look for a cooker that comes with heat resistant handles using which you can easily hold and move the cooker.
- Additional Features: If an electric pressure cooker has features like multiple built-in cooking programs, recipe booklets, cooking instructions and tips, cooling racks and steamer baskets, then your cooking experience becomes a lot more exciting.
There is no doubt that an electric pressure cooker makes the entire cooking process effortless. The only thing that you should be worried about is the electric pressure cooker that you need to buy.
You don’t have to go through hundreds of products that are available on the market when I’ve shortlisted the five best electric pressure cooker reviews by consumer reports. You can pick any from the aforementioned list, as they all are top-selling products on numerous e-commerce portals.
Consumer Reports on Choosing An Electric Pressure Cooker 2020
In today’s post, we will talk about pressure cookers. Firstly, we will introduce the working principle of pressure cookers, and then we will move to tips to choose a great home pressure cooker, and at last, we will introduce some best pressure cookers and reviews of them.
Top 10 Best Rated Pressure Cooker List in 2019
- #1 All American 21-1/2-Quart Pressure Cooker Canner – Big Size
- #2 Instant Pot Ultra 8 Qt 10-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker
- #3 Ninja Foodi 1400-Watt Multi Pressure Cooker, Steamer & Air Fryer
- #4 Mealthy MultiPot 9-in-1 Programmable Pressure Cooker 8 Quart
- #5 Yedi Total Package 8 Qt 9-in-1 Instant Programmable XL Pressure Cooker
- #6 Instant Pot IP-DUO80 7-in-1 Programmable Pressure Cooker, 8Qt
- #7 Instant Pot DUO Plus 60, 6 Qt 9-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker
- #8 Cuisinart CPC-600AMZ 1000-Watt 6-Quart Electric Pressure Cooker
- #9 Presto 01781 23-Quart Pressure Canner and Cooker
Best Pressure Cookers Consumer Reports: Comparison Chart
|Top 11 rated BEST||Model||Size||Reviews||Rating|
|All American 921 21-1/2-Quart Pressure Cooker/Canner||21.5 Qt||1. Great for cooking and canning and can hold 19 pints or 7 quart jars
2. Reliable designs with durable material, made in USA
3. Tight sealing system, automatic overpressure release, geared steam gauge and adjustable pressure regulator
|Instant Pot Ultra 8 Qt 10-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker||8 Qt||4.4|
|Ninja Foodi 1400-Watt Multi Pressure Cooker, Steamer & Air Fryer||6.5 Qt||4.6|
|Mealthy MultiPot 9-in-1 Programmable Pressure Cooker 8 Quart||8 Qt||4.7|
|Yedi Total Package 8 Qt 9-in-1 Instant Programmable XL Pressure Cooker||8 Qt||4.8|
|Instant Pot IP-DUO80 7-in-1 Programmable Pressure Cooker, 8Qt/1200W, Stainless Steel Cooking Pot||8 Qt||1. Design & Durability: lid holders and finger print resistant exterior, stainless steel pot
2. 7 cooking methods (Pressure Cooker, Saute/Browning, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker,Warmer, Yogurt Maker, )
3. 10 proven safety mechanisms and technologies
|Instant Pot DUO Plus 60, 6 Qt 9-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker||6 Qt||4.5|
|Instant Pot IP-DUO60 7-in-1 Programmable Pressure Cooker||6 Qt||4.6|
|Presto 01781 23-Quart Pressure Canner and Cooker||23 Qt||1. Extremely large cooking capacity can undertake a big task for a large amount of foods or dishes
2. Made of heavy-duty aluminum, providing fast cooking and easy cleaning
3. Very detailed recipe booklet and exclusively long warranty, 12 years
|Cuisinart CPC-600AMZ 1000-Watt 6-Quart Electric Pressure Cooker||6 Qt||1. 5 cooking setting just within one press button, saving up to 70% of cooking time and maintaining the nutrients and vitamins
2. LED digital display, one-press button controls, accurate temperature monitor, timer, cool-touch handles, non-stick dishwasher safe inner pot
|Pressure Cooker Instant Crock 10-in-1 Pot Pro Series 19 Program 6Q with German ThermaV Tech||6 Qt||4.5|
We have chosen 10 top rated pressure cookers here and compare them in aspects like functions, sizes,pricing and ratings, consumer pressure cooker reviews. You could find a 3 Instant Pot Pressure Cookers, a Cuisinart electric pressure cooker, a presto pressure cooker and some others.
Top 10 Best Rated Pressure Cookers for 2019
What is the best pressure cooker? We have listed 10 highest rated pressure cookers today.
1. All American 921 21-1/2-Quart Pressure Cooker/Canner
All American 921
This All American cooker or canner is not only designed for cooking, but also for canning. It’s made of hand-cast aluminum, which is absolutely durable in use. Its outside is covered with satin finish, so it won’t become an odd in your kitchen. And this cooker is of a large capacity, about 21-1/2 quarts.
And it is able to contain a jar about 19 pints or 7 quarts. It doesn’t include rubber or plastic gaskets or rings, but it has sturdy screws to seal the lid to the pot. This sealing method uses metal to seal metal, which is really rare in pressure cookers.
In order to facilitate safe and convenient use, this cooker provides precise readings by a geared steam gauge, the function of automatic overpressure release and three options to choose the pressure: 5 psi, 10 psi or 15 psi. Hope you like Consumer Reports pressure cooker today.
- Great for cooking and canning and can hold 19 pints or 7 quart jars
- Reliable designs with durable material, made in USA
- Tight sealing system, automatic overpressure release, geared steam gauge and adjustable pressure regulator
2. Instant Pot IP-DUO60 7-in-1 Programmable Pressure Cooker – Instant Pot Reviews Consumer Reports
Instant Pot IP-DUO60 is very powerful on both its designs and functions. This cooker has great attraction not only for those who often stay in the kitchen, but also for those who have strictly requirements for pressure cooked foods, or those who pursue health eating habits or have a fast paced lifestyle. It has a 3-ply bottom stainless steel inner pot, which is very durable and non-stick.
Two lid-handles are symmetrically on the left and right side, and a smaller foot print on the bottom, so it’s very stable and convenient to operate it. And its exterior is made of stainless steel and is finger-print resistant, so it is very easy to clean and use. It’s not a big deal to keep it always in fresh new. For most users, what they are interested in is the function and safety features, I guess. This instant pot is a all-in-1 cooker and it is programmable within 14 inside smart programs.
7 common cooking methods, pressure cooker, sauté/browning, slow cooker, porridge rice cooker, warmer, general steamer, or home yogurt maker, almost can cover all daily cooking meets. And very delicious dishes is in your hand only by one press, the 14 inside smartand so on.
Functions– Soup, Poultry, Steam,Meat/Stew, Sauté, Bean/Chili, Rice, Multigrain, Porridge,Pasteurize and Fermented Rice, Keep-Warm, Slow Cook, will get what you want. And during the cooking process, this pot won’t leak any steam and is almost noiseless.
This pot can speed up the cooking time by 2 to 6 times, but use 70% less energy. Whatever, this cooker is quicker than other cookers: green peas, corns, or baby carrots just take 2 or 3 minutes, mashed potatoes in 15 minutes without losing the nutrients, entrees in 1 hour. And it is designed with a 24-hour timer and automatic warm-keep to help you when you want to have a scheduled cooking.
Besides, this cooker has an built-in microprocessor to monitor the inside pressure and temperature, adjust heating intensity and time. And this cooker also does a great job on the aspect of safety. It is UL & ULC certified and has 10 safety mechanisms to control absolutely safe use. Every possible risk or error can be eliminated by its safety mechanisms.
- Design & Durability: small foot print, lid holders and finger print resistant exterior, stainless steel pot
- Functions & Intelligentization: 7 cooking methods (Pressure Cooker, Saute/Browning, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker,Warmer, Yogurt Maker, )
- Safety & Technologies: 10 proven safety mechanism and the latest technology ensure incomparable operation
- An excellent pressure cooker you deserve to have
3. Cuisinart CPC-600AMZ 1000-Watt 6-Quart Electric Pressure Cooker
The Cuisinart CPC-600AMZ
The Cuisinart pressure cooker reviews for you now: Cuisinart CPC-600AMZ is housed in brushed stainless steel and contains a nonstick and dishwasher safe cooking pot. The capacity of this cooker is about 6 quart, which is little less than some conventional ones, but it compensates with tremendous cooking benefits.
First, faster cooking time, less energy consumption and good tasty and healthy food are directly reflected when using it for daily cooking. Second, it offers 5 cooking settings with only one press button, such as high- or low-pressure cooking,and warming browning, sauteing, simmering,. Third, it is not difficult to see this cuisinart pressure cooker is designed with minds and thoughts.
Programmable panel with push button controls clearly give all cooking settings while an LED countdown digital display indicates effective cooking time. Other thoughtful features include precise digital temperature monitor, up to 99 minutes timer, cool-touch handles, non-stick cooking pot and dishwasher safe pot and brushed stainless steel outside housing.
And this cooker only gets to start work when the lid is tightly locked while it can only be opened when inner pressure level has been released to zero, pretty safe to have such an amazing cooker in your kitchen.
- 5 cooking setting just within one press button, saving up to 70% of cooking time and maintaining the nutrients and vitamins
- Comes with various user-friendly features: LED digital display, one-press button controls, accurate temperature monitor, timer, cool-touch handles, non-stick dishwasher safe inner pot
- One note: the lid must be tightly locked to get best cooking results
4. Presto 01781 23-Quart Pressure Canner and Cooker
Presto 01781 is able to make a large volume of foods for a large group of people with 23-quart liquid capacity. And it’s also a great canner for vegetables and fruit canning.
This cooker is often taken as a professional tool for canning foods due to such extra large capacity. This Presto pressure cooker chooses to build the body by using heavy-duty aluminum, which can facilitate the cooking or heating time and can be cleaned up with great ease.
To complete safe pressure cooking, this pressure cooker machine has a strong-lock steel lid, an inner sealing ring, a pop-up pressure indicator, a pressure dial gauge, a simple steam release mechanism and an overpressure plug. Although this Presto pressure cooker looks a little simple on its design, all the crucial factors pertain to pressure cooking are taken into consideration.
- Extremely large cooking capacity can undertake a big task for a large amount of foods or dishes
- Made of heavy-duty aluminum, providing fast cooking and easy cleaning
- Gets every part prepared for safe and efficient cooking
- Very detailed instruction, and recipe booklet and exclusively long warranty, 12 years
5. Instant Pot IP-LUX60 6-in-1 Programmable Pressure Cooker – Reviews Consumer Reports
Instant Pot IP-LUX60 is also given all the advantages of the Instant Pot series. With 6-in-1 cooking functions and 10 programs (Meat/Stew,slow cook, Saute, Poultry, Soup, Bean/Chili, Rice,Steam, Multigrain ) for your favorite dishes, this cooker pot is an ideal choice or kitchen helper for those who seek a health-oriented and green-conscious life style in their fast paced daily life.
And it employs the 3rd latest generation technology to adjust the main pressure cooker index, such as pressure, temperature, cooking time, cooking intensity and the volume of food so that it can keep the good cooking results and consistence. The main body is made of stainless steel, which guarantees longer durability. And non-stick 3-ply stainless steel inner pot avoids health related concerns.
To please users and let them feel convenient and comfortable when using it, it is designed with many users-friendly features and functions: 3 modes, 3 Saute temperatures, 3 Slow cooking adjusting tempetures, a 24-hour timer for delayed cooking, automatic keep-warm especially for warm and fresh breakfast, 6 quarts large capacity, manual setting for up to 120 minutes cooking time, 4 cooking accessories (stainless steel steam rack,soup-use spoon and rice peddle and measuring-use cup).
Usually, it can save up to 70% of energy, truly energy efficient. As for the safety feature, it is UL and ULC certified for the 10 safety mechanisms and technologies. Common unsafe parts of a pressure cooker are greatly improved in this one to ensure every part work properly and safely.
- 6-in-1 programmable cooker provides 6 different functions: Meat/Stew,slow cook, Saute, Poultry, Soup, Bean/Chili, Rice,Steam, Multigrain
10 built-in programs and 10 proven safety mechanisms bring enjoyable and safe cooking experience
- Peace of mind designs and features: 3-ply cooking pot made of stainless steel, brushed stainless steel exterior which is finger-print resistant, 3 modes, 3 Saute temperatures and 3 temperatures setting for slow cook , 24 hours timer, automatic warm-keeping, 120 minutes cook time and wonderful cooking accessories
- UL and ULC approved appliance with high energy efficiency
6. Stainless-steel Cooking Pot/ 6-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker/Slow Cooker (8 QT)
This stainless steel cooking pot is ETL certified and of a capacity of up to 8 quarts. It offers 6 cooking choices, including Rice, Meat/Stew, Slow cooking, Beans, Steamer, Sauté, Brown,Warmer, and pressure time +/-.
The inner and outside are mainly constructed with stainless steel, which allows longer using periods and the ease of cleaning. There are two soft handles for easy opening up or closing. Automatic-locking lid is designed with rubber gasket, a floating valve, home use pressure regulator knob, high quality pressure safety valve, a locking pin and anti-blocking case to ensure safe cooking.
The cooking pressure, delayed timer, cooking status and all cooking functions are clearly indicated on the outside panel. Don’t forget, it also gives a stainless rack, a plastic cup and spoon for you. According to our electric pressure cooker reviews today, it is a great option for home use indeed.
- 6 cooking options with a heating plate, a temperature sensor and a condensation reservoir to balance cooking pace
- Stainless steel inner pot and exterior promise longer use and easy cleanups
- 8 quart larger capacity pressure cooker is given a inner liner in the pot and two soft handles in both sides of the exterior
7. As Seen on TV PPC Power Pressure Cooker, X-Large
Power Pressure Cooker
Now, it is time for power pressure cooker reviews. Dishes or foods cooked by this Power Pressure Cooker maintain all the aromas of the ingredients, since it uses a flavor infusing technology to trap super heated steam in the inner pot, so that the liquid moisture can be forced into the ingredients and maintain the original flavor and nutrients, which is perfect for canning fruits, vegetables and others.
Non-stick and dishwasher safer stainless steel inner pot, as one of the very important parts of this pressure cooker, eliminates unhealthy residuals and can be easily maintained. Safe lock lid with manual steam release enhances the safety features.
A digital display panel clearly indicates all the cooking functions, automatic keep warm mode and delayed timer. According to the online data, power pressure cooker Xl is ranked in the best rated pressure cooker list. It is very popular by housewives.
- Gets the foods cooked in a way that combines the speed, the health concern and the flavor consideration
- All key pressure cooker features and functions are displayed in the digital panel
- 6-quart capacity and 1 year manufacturing warranty
8. Secura 6-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker 6qt, 18/10 Stainless Steel Cooking Pot
The Secura 6-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker helps to prepare various delicious dishes and foods by just pressing 6 different cooking options, including pressure cooker, food steaming, general slow cooker, rice cooking, soup maker browning/sauté pan. And the maximum size of the pot is up to 6 quarts, which just fits the common requirements of most families. The cooking pot is made of 18/10 stainless steel (the best one for stainless pressure cooker) and is dishwasher safe, and the lid also uses the stainless steel material to build.
To provide users better users-experience, it is designed with cool touch handles and easy-touch lid finish. And the temperature and cooking time is controlled by micro-computerized system, which on the other hand levels up the safety and increases energy efficiency.
Besides, it comes with a measuring cup, a rice spoon, and manual and recipe book. And other optional accessories are also included, like stainless steel steam basket, steam rack and non-stick cooking pot. More comparisons and pressure cooker reviews info could be found in the comparisons parts of this post.
- Versatilities: 6 quarts capacity with 6 multifunction, Automatic keep-warm, a 24-timer, digital display, temperature and time control system
- Durability: 18/10 stainless steel cooking pot and stainless steel lid
- Considerations : many useful cooking kits are included with it
9. Fagor 8-Quart Stainless-Steel Pressure Cooker with Steamer Basket
The Fagor 8-Quart Stainless-Steel Pressure Cooker may be traditional from the appearance, but you can never underestimate its functions and features. The whole cooker is mainly built with 18/10 stainless steel, so it is very sturdy and durable. The long handle in the lid makes it easy to lock the cooker safely and easily, and can never get heated due to the heat-resistant plastic material. And the pressure indicator and the automatic pressure release are used to monitor and control the pressure, avoiding unsafe accidents. Other convenient features include a handy basket insert and dishwasher safe parts. And almost all heat sources are available for this cooker. More importantly, it can save about 70% of time and energy, really cool and great for daily use.
- Able to hold up to 8 quarts water or water-based liquid
- Can be used for a very long time due to the 18/10 stainless steel construction
- Convenient to use: dishwasher-safe components, safe lock handle with cool-touch, visual pressure indicator and auto pressure release
- Available for all heat sources and backed by 10 years warranty
What A Pressure Cooker is? How Does It Work?
A pressure cooker is a cooking appliance that is used to cook food by making use of the high temperature and pressure, which greatly reduces the time of cooking while saving the energy. A pressure cooker generally contains a pot, a lid and a pressure relief valve.
As we all known, the boiling point of the water or certain liquid is influenced by pressure. The higher the pressure is, the higher the boiling point will get. Pressure cooking refers to the method to cook food by boiling water or other cooking liquid in a sealed container. And this process is what the pressure cooker doing.
When water or other cooking liquid are sealed tightly in the cooker, they will get very hot inside by heating the cooker, and the pressure will rise inside. And then the boiling point in the cooker will rise and reach a higher point, which provides the necessary condition for faster cooking. Using pressure cooker to cook food takes less time than conventional cooking methods or tools. But the cooker can only be opened when the pressure is safely released.
Pressure cooking can quickly get the cooking results that usually take a long time to braise or simmer through other methods. As long as the food can be cooked in steam or water-based liquids, it can be cooked in the pressure cooker.
How to Choose A Best Electric Pressure Cooker?
If you looking for a pressure cooker for home, here are some aspects you need to take into considerations.
Although most pressure cookers in the marketplace are sold by their total liquid capacity, if you have used a pressure cooker, you will find that depending on the food you cook, only one half to two thirds of their capacity is used in reality. However, the remaining space in the vessel of the cooker isn’t unnecessary, because it provides enough space for steam to accumulate. Most common liquid capacities of pressure cookers are four, six and eight quarts. To obtain a pressure cooker with best capacity, just keep reading, here is listed the advantages of this three capacities.
Four-quart: A pressure cooker with such size is very suitable to make food for one or two persons, such as singles or couples. And if the family often needs to make one course, like potatoes or vegetables, four quart is also acceptable.
Six-quart: Pressure cookers with six-quart capacity are the most popular type among consumers, since they not only can make enough food for two people or more, but also can be used to cook a very wide range of foods and pressure cooking recipes.
Eight-quart: This capacity is designed for larger families. In addition, such size is also very useful to stock large amount of cooked foods.
Certainly, there also have other pressure cookers with large size, like sixteen, eighteen or twenty-three quarts. They are generally used for pressure canning meats, vegetables or other low-acid foods in pint or quart jars. But such large pressure cooker is only useful when to prepare foods for a very large group of people.
Check Construction Material – Stainless Steel
When choosing a pressure cooker, it’s recommended to check what kind of material this cooker is made of. High quality stainless steel can ensure the durability. But how to know the stainless steel is of high quality? The cooker usually has a tag or a bottom stamp labeled the material. “18/10 Stainless Steel”, which means the stainless steel contains 18% chromium and 10% nickel. This kind of steel is considered as high quality, since it indicates the stainless steel is made of metal.
Pressure Indicator — The More Accurate, The Better
There is a standard to judge the pressure level of a pressure cooker. Generally, a pressure cooker that is able to get 15 psi (pounds per square inch) is powerful enough for most pressure cooker recipes. Therefore, the capability to reach 15 psi is what your pressure cooker should have. When this standard level is reached, a cooker with an accurate indicator in the pressure cooker would be extremely great to get know it. Anyway, an accurate pressure indicator can help to minimize the guesswork of pressure cooking.
Quick Pressure Release
A pressure cooker that has the option of quick pressure release allows you to add new ingredients into the cooking food and resume pressure cooking. Some pressure cookers now has been improved on techniques, they can quickly release the pressure that is inside the vessel while keeping high temperature or boiling point.
Safety feature is also a very important consideration when choosing a pressure cooker. Comparing to traditional pressure cookers, modern pressure cookers have been added much more safety features. For modern pressure cookers, if the pressure level exceeds certain high point, you will hear a sound of hiss, which actually is to vent excess steam through a valve stem. And if the pressure keeps rising, they will vent out the pressure safely through a safety aperture, which is usually in the lid.
It’s unwise to purchase a pressure cooker because of its low price. A pressure cooker that is manufactured by a trusted brand is highly recommended, because these brands are generally backed by reliable companies, and perhaps these companies have been in this sector for many years. Besides, these companies often have a stable financial track record. It is necessary to replace some parts of your pressure cooker if you want it work for many years without some big safety and operational problems. Although these parts usually don’t cost much, parts of a pressure cooker from one brand are very different from the part from other brands. A reliable brand or company can ensure to get the proper parts for your pressure cooker easily, even though many years have passed. We will introduce Presto pressure cooker, Fagor pressure cooker and power pressure cooker reviews, Cuisinart pressure cooker today.
It’s better to choose a pressure cooker that carries an extended warranty. And the warranty period of a pressure cooker from many brands can reach to 10 years
Table of Contents
A pressure cooker is a sealed pot that we use to cook our food using pressure and cooks so fast. It has a valve that helps in controlling the pressure inside the sealed container while in the kitchen.
See also10 Best Instant Pot Reviews by Consumer Report in 2020
While using a pressure cooker and your food reaches a boiling point, that is when the steam’ pressure increases and the cooking process becomes so fast. It can be used to cook various foods like rice, beans, and maize, in a short time and with less consumption of charcoal, gas, paraffin or even firewood.
10. All American
Buy now from Amazon
This is a stylish pressure cooker made from a high-quality aluminum which is very easy to clean with an on-off cover, wing nuts that make it very easy to close or open. It has a study lead which is made of metal and covers the cooker so tight doing the cooking so fast since the pressure is held close. It is deep in size making it cook enough food at once with a steam gauge that is automatic to control pressure while utilizing it.
Buy now from Amazon
Add this classy pressure cooker that comes with a chalkboard which helps you indicate all the recipes in the pot for one to know what is being prepared in advance. In case one is allergic to any spice they will say before it is presented to the table. With every purchase of the pressure cooker, one is given two sticks of the chalk together with a surface for writing on with wires that are used for closing the lead tight.
8. T-fal P45007
Buy now from Amazon
T-fal is a durable stainless pressure cooker with a wide, sturdy base that distributes heat all round cooking your food so fast and delicious. It comes with one hand for secure closing and opening, and it can use various leads with ease. It also has a valve to control the release of steam making it safe to use. It comes with a basket that contains the instruction notes and various recipes for the preparation of delicious food.
Buy now from Amazon
Have an easy time using this model that cooks food evenly within a short period. It is made from a high-quality material that is durable making it very economical with a fantastic service. It has a lead with a lock indicator that shows when there is still pressure for you not to open it until it cools down. It comes with a unique rack that enables you to prepare different food at once and still cooks both the food equally.
6. T-fal P31052
Buy now from Amazon
Have a durable pressure cooker that is made from a thick quality aluminum and does not rust with ventilation at the lid that allows steam release with a plug for every user’s safety. It has a spring device that controls pressure before closing it and makes sure the lid is tightly closed. It also has a rack inside for preparing various foods at the same time making it economical and less time consuming.
5. Presto 01370
Buy now from Amazon
Presto is a stainless steel pressure cooker that cooks your food so fast, saving you energy, time and also money. It can be used to prepare different food at once giving it a very delicious taste. With every purchase, one is given an instruction note on how to use and clean the pressure cooker plus different recipes. It is compatible with several stovetops making it even easier to use on any source of energy with a sturdy base.
Buy now from Amazon
This is mostly preferred model while going for your holidays or camping since it makes your cooking so easy, faster, with a well-flavored food. It is made of stainless steel aluminum with heavy duty handles with a wide mouth which makes it easy to remove or stock your food. It has a lid that is clamped down to hold sides of the pot to enable it to hold steam and heat while your food is cooked.
Buy now from Amazon
Nuwave is a stainless steel cooker which cooks so fast, and it is wide to accommodate more food saving energy, time and resources while you have visitors. It is comfortable and stable to use with a sturdy base made from perfect quality aluminum which is very easy to clean. It is compatible with most stoves and has a valve that controls the steam while cooking allowing you only to open it when it has cooled down.
2. Presto 01781
Buy now from Amazon
Presto is a high-quality pressure cooker made of thick aluminum with a warp resistant. One can use it for boiling water which can be used for preservation of fruits, jellies, and jam. It has a lock at the cover that assists in controlling pressure when it is closed. It can be used in various stoves by just controlling your fire when the cooker gets to its boiling point.
1. Instant Pot
Buy now from Amazon
Instant pot is a stylish cooker with a large screen and a significantly improved usage that is top rated. It can be used for various cooking and also baking like while you want to cook so fast, while you want to make your rice slowly or even when you want to bake cakes and bread. It comes with a button for switching it on, controlling programs, sterilizer making you get the perfect results.
Pressure cookers have made lives so easy and comfortable since they are simple to operate and work fast saving energy, time, and still we serve the best food to our family members. Most of them always come with instructions note on how to operate them, and since they are made of stainless steel of high-quality.
When you cook dinner in a pressure cooker, it typically requires less preparation and cooking time. Because these devices use steam pressure to cook foods, you can cook some foods from frozen, and it often takes less than half of the time it would take to cook the same foods in an oven or using other cooking methods.
Not all pressure cookers are created equally though. You have to choose between stovetop cookers, which use the heat of your stove, and stand-alone electric pressure cookers or multicookers, which look similar to slow cookers and contain their own heating elements. You also have pressure canners, and even microwave pressure cookers. After reviewing many different models, we’re going to help out by recommending a few excellent pressure cookers for various purposes, starting with the immensely popular and useful Instant Pot Duo Plus.
Instant Pot Duo Plus
Many have tried, but few can compete with the Instant Pot. The best words to describe this cooker are “user-friendly.” The features make it difficult to mess up your pressure cooked meals. You have low- and high-pressure options to help you control the amount of pressure without much guesswork. Instant Pot took a look at some of the problems with pressure cooking devices, and addressed many of these issues in this pot. The lid has an alert, which lets you know it is in the correct position. The steam handle is designed in such a way that it won’t allow you to put it on incorrectly; you can only put it in a vent or seal position. The cone inside the steam pressure release handle is made of silicone instead of metal, so steam doesn’t leak out as it does in some other models. The pot comes with a rack, which has long handles and lets you easily remove things like cheesecake after cooking.
In addition to all of the user-friendly pressure cooking features, this pot also provides you with options. Using the sauté feature, you can brown your meat in the Instant Pot before or after pressure cooking. In addition to the regular Instant Pot Duo’s sauté, pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, steamer, warmer, and yogurt functions, the Duo Plus also has cake, egg, and sterilize programs. You can make almost anything in the Instant Pot Plus.
While this Instant Pot multicooker is an outstanding small appliance, it certainly isn’t perfect. The inner pot (especially on the 6-quart and smaller versions) is a bit narrow, which can create a challenge when you’re cooking things like roasts or a whole chicken. Foods like rice and potatoes also tend to stick to the bottom and lower sides of this pot more than with other pressure cookers that have a non-stick coating. All in all, the Instant Pot Plus appears to be a pressure cooker first and foremost, and the other functions (slow cook, etc.) are secondary. The features will do their job, but don’t expect the same exact times and features as you would get with a gadget that’s meant only for slow cooking. However, it does do an excellent job sterilizing things like baby bottles and sippy cups.
Fissler 8.5 quart Vitaquick Pressure Cooker with Glass Lid Set
This stovetop pressure cooker is incredibly durable, made of 18/10 stainless steel. It’s very difficult to dent, knick, or damage this pot, and when you pick it up, you can feel the quality of the material. When it comes to pressure cookers, size matters. Both the 8.5-quart and 10.6-quart models give you plenty of room to cook large foods, like roasts. You can also use this pressure cooker on any heat source — gas, electric, or even induction. If you want a smaller model, the cooker comes in 2.7-quart, 4.8-quart, and 6.4-quart sizes as well.
It has an easy-to-open-and-close lid, a safe lock mechanism, gentle and speed settings, and quick depressurizing. It comes apart for easy cleaning, and it even comes with a separate glass lid. When you compare the Fissler Vitaquick to some other stovetop pressure cookers, this cooker is fairly pricey. It’s built to last, and you pay for that quality. Therefore, for those who only use a pressure cooker periodically, or those who just want to experiment with pressure cooking, you can get away with buying a cheaper model for under $50.
Presto 4-quart stovetop pressure cooker
Presto’s smaller pressure cooker combines affordability with a design that’s friendly even for very small kitchens: If you have a burner, you can use this cooker! The stainless steel cooker includes important features like a cover lock indicator to show when pressure is on, a cooking rack to cook a couple of different foods at one time, and an effective handle design that makes the cooker easy to move even when very hot.
It’s important to underline that this inexpensive cooker is intended for small projects. It’s a good idea to build pressure a bit more slowly than with larger cookers, to avoid burning and damage. While the cooker is dishwasher safe, the sealing ring and safety plug should be carefully removed first.
Presto 23-Quart Pressure Canner
This machine lets you can fruits, veggies, meats, and fish safely and easily. You can also use the device as a pressure cooker. The pressure gauge lets you see exactly how much pressure you have accumulated in the pot. In the box, you also get a canning rack and a book containing recipes. Space is one thing this stovetop canner certainly doesn’t lack. With its huge 14-inch diameter and 15-inch tall sides, you can fit a lot of food in the pot for parties or big family gatherings.
On the downside, this pressure cooker/canner is made of aluminum, which is not the most durable metal. Some customers say that after frequently using the machine, the pot can dent, stain, or warp. The pressure release valve also “spits” quite a bit on this canner, so little droplets of steam can get on the lid and around the machine.
Ninja Foodi Pressure Cooker, Steamer, and Air Fryer
Erika Rawes/Digital Trends
The Foodi is a solid pressure cooking device that can cook up a great pot roast, rotisserie-style chicken, or even a cheesecake. Its 6.5-quart ceramic non-stick pot is wide enough to fit large cuts of meat or multiple ingredients (think meat and potatoes). The cooking rack is ideal for steaming veggies, and the accessories are well-made.
The Foodi is more than just a pressure cooker and steamer though. It has two separate lids — one for pressure cooking and one for air frying. You get a 4-quart capacity air frying basket that can hold up to three pounds of french fries. Want to crisp your chicken skin after you pressure cook? No problem. Instead of moving your chicken from a pressure cooker into the oven, you can do it all in the Foodi. Just pressure cook, empty the excess liquid, and then air fry for chicken that falls apart on the inside, but has perfectly crispy skin. You can even bake or broil your foods in the Foodi, and some of the more expensive models (like the OP 302) include a dehydrate function.
What’s not to love? The Foodi is a bit heavy and cumbersome, and the air frying lid isn’t removable, so the Foodi can be tough to tuck away in a cabinet. But if you have somewhere to put it or if you’re OK with leaving it on your counter, the Foodi will be a great addition to your kitchen. Check out our full Ninja Foodi review.
Sistema Microwave Multicooker
Most microwave pressure cookers get poor user reviews. They’re either poorly constructed, overpriced, or they don’t cook the food very well. Sistema has built an international business by creating products that can handle microwaves and other common kitchen appliances, so it’s no surprise that their cooker is one of the most dependable — and very affordable.
Sistema’s rice cooker and multicooker receive good reviews from users, who say they’re super easy to use and the food comes out consistent each time. Sistema uses BPA and phthalate-free plastics in their microwave products. The firm offers a wide range of microwave products, ranging from soup mugs to egg poachers to rice cookers.
How we test pressure cookers
We compared and tested nine different stovetop pressure cookers and electric multicookers with some of the highest overall user ratings in their individual categories. We cooked the same two recipes — gluten-free cheesecake and a whole rotisserie chicken — in each of the multicookers and stovetop pressure cookers. We compared the taste of each recipe, how quickly the device reached full pressure, ease of use, ease of cleanup, ease of setup, and manual instructions (how easy the user manual is to understand and follow) to determine which device performed the “best.” We also consider other factors like durability and price vs. value.
When we are unable to test a device, which was the case with certain pressure canners and microwave pressure cookers, we use research we obtain from customer reviews, user interviews, manufacturer manuals, and product descriptions to determine which device is the “best” in terms of functionality, value, and quality.
- Which Instant Pot should you buy? All of the models compared
- Amazon drops delectable deals on these Ninja multicookers
- The best Instant Pots for 2020
- The best Instant Pot multifunction pressure cooker deals for February 2020
- Amazon deal alert: Instant Pot pressure cookers up to 50% off
Consumer Reports tests best pressure cookers for summer meals
Fans have been flocking to the Instant Pot for a few years, but now there’s a new generation of these pressure cooking multi-cookers and they’re not just for preparing cold weather comfort foods.
Consumer Reports cooked up a storm to see which models can take the pressure off of your summer entertaining and also simmer, sizzle and steam the best.
Pressure cooking ribs will help to tenderize them. When they’re done in the cooker, pop them on the grill to sear and smoke.
Need deviled eggs for a crowd? No problem because pressure cooked eggs are simple to peel. But which device can tackle your whole “summer barbecue”?
“First there was Instant Pot and then along came all these other multi-cookers, which can cost like from $70 to $250 a pop. So that’s why we set out to learn how they perform,” said Perry Santanachote, Consumer Reports Home Editor.
Consumer Reports tested multi-cookers – checking out features like steaming, sauteing, slow-cooking and pressure cooking – by making port ribs, chili with dried beans, lots of vegetables and white rice.
Five models got excellent ratings for pressure cooking, and a few had some special talents.
The Breville Fast Slow Pro stood out for slow-cooking, so it would be perfect for making tender baked beans. It also got high marks for steaming, every BBQ needs something a little healthy. The Breville’s lid doesn’t lock in steam mode, so you can peek in and avoid mushy veggies.
The six quart Instant Pot Max has a sous vide feature that will turn out moist meats and fish. It did a very good job making rice.
The Ninja Foodi OP302 has a crisping lid, after pressure cooking a chicken, testers browned it nicely. It also works as an air fryer and you can even roast corn on the cob on it.
As for dessert, a multi-cooker can even finish your summer BBQ with a cheesecake, all without turning on your oven.
Consumer Reports has this tip, the silicone ring that seals the lid on multi-cookers can retain the odors of whatever you cook. So to keep the scent of curry away from your cheesecake, consider keeping a second ring just for sweets on hand. It’s also a good idea to dry the lid ring-side-up.
Shopping for the best multi-cookers just became a tough decision in recent times thanks to the product’s unstoppable growth and variety due to its popularity. Instant Pot was the name that started it all, but more brands like Breville and Crock-Pot joined the contest once the popularity of this home cooking tool rose. Consumer Reports is now testing multi-cookers or instapots to bring you the best deals that will give value to every dollar you have in your budget.
Consumer Reports also mentioned that you don’t need to spend a lot of money on instapots on multi-cookers, especially since they cost anywhere from $50 to as much as $490. It used to be that way when the competition was slim, but now it isn’t the case. The best pick costs around $250, while the most expensive option at almost half a grand was beaten in results by a $160 offering.
How Consumer Reports Tests Multi-Cookers
CR tests each of the dedicated capabilities of multi-cookers such as slow cooking, sauteing, or something as simple as keeping food warm while it waits for consumption. Some models also have a pressure-cooking mode to make tough ingredients such as beef and beans tender in a smaller time frame. The final and most fun major part of the test is where the CR experts taste-test the cooked food and assess it according to their proficiencies.
Of course, Consumer Report’s testing methods are not limited to tasting the food or how fast can one instapot model melt slabs of brisket. Other features such as the touch controls, ease of use, and programming are also tested to truly bring out each multi cooker’s suitability for each customer. Durability, especially of the interior coating is also scrutinized to see how long an instant pot, which can be expensive, will last.
The Best Multi-Cookers Recommended by Consumer Reports
Breville Fast Slow Pro BPR700BSS 6 Qt. – Best Premium Multi-Cooker
Buy Now From Amazon
Breville Fast Slow Pro BPR700BSS received an excellent rating from Consumer Reports for its outstanding performance in both pressure-cook and slow cooking mode. The 1100-watt cooker can also steam, but it doesn’t use pressure-cooking techniques so you can open the lid and take a peek at your veggies or fish fillets.
This model makes a mean beef stew in 5 hours, while chili takes about 7 hours if you want them cooked to perfection. It’s also excellent that the interior has a nonstick ceramic coating that did not show even a bit of wear during testing and cleaning.
Delonghi Livenza All-in-One Programmable CKM1641D – Best Slow Cooker
Buy Now From Amazon
The DeLonghi Livenza is a more affordable instapot, but it doesn’t have a pressure-cook feature so you can’t expect quick stews with this one. However, its one of the best when it comes to slow-cooking thanks to its 1350-watt output. Very good ratings for steaming and sauteing follows as well a baking function that produces chewy chocolate chip bars.
The oblong shape of the DeLonghi Livenza also makes it a great choice if you like slow-cooking larger cuts of meat such as ribs or a whole section of brisket or short plate. This characteristic works well with the excellent slow-cooking results produced by this device. Consumer Reports also liked that the top lid is made of tempered-glass, allowing you to take regular peeks at your masterpiece while it’s slowly tenderizing in its own juices.
Instant Pot Max 6Qt. – Reasonably-Priced 6-Quart Instapot
Buy Now From Amazon
The Instant Pot Max offers an upgraded maximum pressure, lower price, and more features when compared with its predecessor. This model now goes up to 1100 Watts, making it fantastic at common cooking techniques such as sauteing or cooking rice. The product offers the common slow-cooking capabilities of instapots, but what stands out is its sous vide feature which cooks tender chicken breasts in three hours.
Consumer Reports, however, warned that the Instant Pot Max isn’t suitable for making food such as chili using dried beans. The device produces a Food Burn alert when doing so, but Instant Pot says its a safety mechanism that avoids blackened or bitter-tasting food. As a result, CR says that this model isn’t advisable for food that settles at the bottom as it cooks.
Ninja Foodi OP302 – Best Multi Cooker For Sauteing
Buy Now From Amazon
The Ninja Foodi OP302 is one of the only two models in the line up that received an excellent rating when it comes to sauteing. This model also offers a crisping lid that includes a fan for air-frying which allowed CR experts to pressure-cook and crisp a 4.5-pound chicken easily. The OP302 is also very capable at dehydrating food, but you can’t stuff it full and expect excellent results even if you buy the $30 rack for it.
It’s fantastic that the Nina Foodi OP302 is versatile and functional, but this also means that it’s bulky and heavy. The pressure lid alone weighs 3lbs, with the total coming up to around 21lbs when assembled. This makes the product around 8 pounds heavier than most, but what Consumer Reports disliked the most is the crisping lid isn’t removable.
Zavor LUX LCD ZSELL02
Buy Now From Amazon
The Zavor LUX LCD is another highly-recommended instapot by Consumer Reports for its perfect scores in pressure-cooking, steaming, and slow-cooking. This reasonably-priced model is a fantastic choice if you want fall-off-the-bone ribs, tender chili, and crisp, yet properly cooked steamed veggies in your daily menu at home. This model isn’t the most powerful at 1000 Watts, but the results, according to CR experts, speak for themselves.
The interior of the Zavor LUX LCD uses a stainless steel insert instead of the usual nonstick coatings found on the other models. Tests show that this type is more durable after regular cleaning since it doesn’t scratch easily.