- 15 Basic Makeup Essentials That Belong in Every Makeup Bag
- 1. Use Less Makeup
- 2. Try Concealer Instead of Foundation
- 3. Pick Longwear Products
- 4. Don’t Powder, Blot.
- 5. Layer It On
- 6. Prime It
- 7. Get A Setting Spray
- 60 Best Summer Makeup Ideas For 2020
- Metallic Hue
- Bold for the Summer
- Gold Hues
- Enhance the Natural Beauty
- Pinkish Shades
- Caramel Eyes
- Wet and Glowy Look
- Fruit – Inspired
- Smokey Eyes for Summertime
- Color Block
- Brows on Point
- Lilac on Your Eyes
- Red Lips
- Eyeliner and Blush
- Ready for the Beach
- All that Glitter
- Warm Tones
- Simply Orange
- For Special Occasions
- Glowy and Natural
- A Natural Summer Makeup Tutorial
- Finished Look
- Bronze Smokey Eye
- Shop The Natural Summer Makeup Look:
- Barely There Makeup Tutorial:
- Glow Up Challenge: How To Become Prettier In One Month
- PART 1: BODY GLOW UP
- PART 2: FACE GLOW UP
- PART 3: HAIR GLOW UP
- PART 4 : GLOW UP YOUR NAILS
- How to get pretty over the summer?
15 Basic Makeup Essentials That Belong in Every Makeup Bag
- Concealer Concealer is one of those basic makeup essentials to keep on you at all times (just in case). Choose a creamy formula that can hide under-eye circles and uninvited blemishes.
- Foundation Foundation is, well, the foundation of any makeup routine—basic or elaborate—but you don’t need to slather it all over your face. Just apply in places where you see uneven skin tone or discoloration. If you don’t need as much coverage as foundation provides or prefer something a little lighter, consider a tinted moisturizer instead.
- Blush When it comes to choosing a go-to blush, look for a warm tone that adds a splash of color to the apples of your cheeks (and a little life to your whole complexion).
- Translucent Setting Powder A quick, light dusting of translucent powder at the end sets makeup and controls shine. You’ll particularly love having a shine-busting setting powder on hand if you tend to have an oily T-zone or tend to sweat easily. It’s also a godsend when covering up blemishes or discoloration you’d rather not share with the world: apply foundation to the problem spot, set with powder, apply a dab of concealer, then set with powder again.
- Mascara There’s no better way to wake up and define those eyes than by enhancing your lashes—and a good mascara is all you need. Stick with basic black mascara (or dark brown if you have light hair and lashes). It’s up to you whether or not you use waterproof mascara.
- Neutral Eye Shadow A neutral beige or taupe eye shadow is an instant brightener when swiped across the upper lid.
- Defining Eye Shadow For a slightly more defined shadow, choose a medium neutral shade like a warm brown or charcoal gray. Brush the shadow in the crease of the eye, just under the brow bone, to add depth.
- Eye Liner You can use your darker shade of eye shadow as a liner along the lashes—or use a dark brown or black pencil to create a thin line that defines and enhances your eyes.
- Lipstick How about some color? Lipstick (or tint, gloss, or stain, if you want a less saturated look) is the perfect antidote to the midweek blahs. You’ll be stunned what a swipe of color can do for your lips, face, and mood. Not feeling bold and bright at the moment? Opt for a natural pink or a nude lipstick instead.
- Fluffy Powder Brush Keep one big, rounded makeup brush to dust on setting powder once you’ve finished your makeup.
- Blush Brush This brush is a bit smaller than your big powder brush and is the right size for dabbing the cheeks with color and blending along the cheekbones.
- Eye Shadow Brush Your basic makeup kit should include an all-over eye shadow brush that gets your entire lid covered in one swipe.
- Crease Brush This smaller, rounded eye shadow brush will get into the crease when you add a darker shade for definition.
- Eye Liner Brush A small, flat, angled brush can be used to line the eyes or add a bit of brow powder to lackluster eyebrows.
- Tweezers Keep a pair of tweezers in your makeup bag to clean up any stray hairs around your brows that show up in between brow appointments.
Photo: Jose A. Bernat Bacete/Getty Images
It’s not just totally kind of hot outside — it’s scorching, meaning that you and your makeup are getting the sweats. Every summer, the Cut has interviewed makeup artists about how to sweat-proof your makeup. Here’s the collective wisdom from five years of heat waves. Read on to learn how the makeup artists for Solange and Beyoncé keep their faces looking glowy rather than sweaty in the desert, and the tips and tricks you can do at home.
1. Use Less Makeup
As the temperatures climb, your makeup bag should get lighter. Less makeup means less opportunity for drippage. It was 112 degrees when Solange performed for Coachella. Her makeup artist Dana Delaney used just five makeup products on her face. Makeup artist Tyron Machhausen took the same approach on the day of our sweaty, Central Park cover shoot with Sonoya Mizuno.
2. Try Concealer Instead of Foundation
“Spot conceal” when you need it, is the advice from experts. Since concealer is a thicker texture, there’s less chance of it giving you Emoji sweat drop face. Delaney particularly likes this one from Laura Mercier, which you can use to conceal anything from dark eye circles to larger cystic bumps.
Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage
3. Pick Longwear Products
“I like a beauty product that fades instantly,” said no one, ever. But if you are looking for full-coverage makeup options, you might want to try all those products that brag about multiple-hour-longwear. Makeup artist Beau Nelson explains that longwear products, specifically foundation, have improved lately and no longer look spackled on. He likes Estée Lauder’s Doublewear foundation, which now also comes in a whopping 56 shades.
ESTÉE LAUDER Double Wear Stay In Place Makeup
4. Don’t Powder, Blot.
All the experts agree — powder and hot skin will make your face look like the bottom of Martha Stewart’s cake pan. Powder clings, it clogs your pores, and it makes you look covered in a film of dust. If you’re getting shiny or your makeup is running, try using a blotting paper (or even a paper towel, Delaney suggests). Blotting papers will soak up sweat without disturbing any of your makeup. Tatcha makes the gold standard, but if you want to wipe your face like Solange, the Clean N’Clear ones work well too.
Aburatorigami Japanese Blotting Papers
5. Layer It On
Take it from Beyoncé. If you don’t want your eyeliner or bronzer to sweat off, double up. Her makeup artist Sir John said, “Layering is the key. So you want to use a liquid foundation, then set it with bronzer; a cream blush, then set it with powder blush.” (This is the opposite of “Use fewer products,” of course, so you’ll have to decide which Knowles sister to trust here.)
6. Prime It
Prime your eyes. Your T-Zone gets oily with the heat, but weirdly enough, so do your eyelids. To prevent your eyeliner from sliding around and giving you raccoon eyes, use an eye primer. It creates a “grippy” base that locks onto anything you put onto your eyelid, whether it be an eye shadow or eyeliner. Bonus tip: Michael Ashton, Adele’s makeup artist, also likes putting a little eye primer under the eye so that your concealer ends up lasting forever too.
CANMAKE Lasting Multi Eye-Makeup Base Water Proof
7. Get A Setting Spray
“Fucking amazing,” is how Nelson described Urban Decay’s legendary setting spray. It’s a mist that literally seals makeup into place so well that it requires some elbow grease to remove. Every makeup artist we have ever interviewed about summer makeup suggests this one.
URBAN DECAY COSMETICS All Nighter Long-Lasting Makeup Setting Spray
If you buy something through our links, New York may earn an affiliate commission.
60 Best Summer Makeup Ideas For 2020
By Shevon Clay / Updated on January 20, 2020
Some rules should be applied in the summertime – light foundation, or no foundation at all, nude lipsticks instead of dark colors, and a lot of bronzer or highlighter. If you limit yourself to use only the most important products, we guarantee you will have a flawless tan and makeup.
Summer is just around the corner, and now it is the right time to get inspired by some fresh and modern summer makeup. Let’s see how you can make your face glow, and your makeup long-lasting.
Metallic hues in the summertime are more than welcome. Even for everyday wear – you can definitely make yourself shine under the summer sun. Rose gold on your eyes and lips will enhance the beauty of glowy makeup.
Bold for the Summer
If you are heading to some elegant event, such as wedding, engagements or birthday parties, you can afford to look like this. A bit stronger makeup should be reserved for special occasions only. The intense sun can melt the makeup down, so make sure you put on a good primer and fixator.
Is there anything better than golden hues in summer? We don’t think so. Gold on your eyes, golden highlighter, as well as lip gloss, will make this makeup glow! It is appropriate for both everyday and special occasions. You should try it!
Enhance the Natural Beauty
Summer everyday essentials should be minimal and should enhance your natural beauty. Blue eyes match with beige, orange shades. Opt for creamy ones, since they are perfect for warm weather. You can put on matte, creamy lipstick in the same neutral hue.
Porcelain tan can be achieved with a good primer, glowy foundation, and highlighter on your cheeks. You can make your eyes pop up with pinkish and brown shades. Use good crease brush to make your smokey summer look.
Caramel shades suit perfect girls with brown and blue eyes. For this lovely everyday look, you will need an excellent matte foundation, a bit of bronzer, creamy orange lipstick, and creamy eyeshadow in the same shade. Apply it with your fingers.
Wet and Glowy Look
Sometimes, you don’t need a bunch of makeup products to make your skin glow. You can only apply a concealer, to hide the imperfections, blend it well and in the end add highlighter on your cheekbones. Don’t hesitate to add a lot of blush as well.
Fruit – Inspired
Have you ever wished to have fruit – inspired look? If you are nodding, then this is a great opportunity to achieve that. This look is juicy, watermelon looks alike and utterly eccentric. For the lips, opt for neutral lip gloss.
Smokey Eyes for Summertime
Smokey eye is one of the best makeup techniques and definitely the most used one. You can wear smokey eyes in summer or winter, and every time you wish. Neutral, beige, and shimmery eyeshadows will suit to every eye shape and every eye color.
For those girls looking for something new and interesting, you can always try this kind of makeup. It is quite artistic, a bit of eccentric, and so colorful! Orange, yellow, and pink are matchable, even though we didn’t know it!
Brows on Point
Making your eyebrows look like this is trendy and quite easy. You should leave your brows to grow, instead of twitching them and brush them. You can also color them with a gel and fix them with liquid products. They are definitely on point here.
Lilac on Your Eyes
Lilac is definitely color of the season. However, it is unusual to see it on your eyelids. It looks great, though! Instead of putting it on your crease, apply the lilac cream eyeshadow on the lower lid. Make a small wing to prolong your eye.
Matte lipsticks are great for summertime due to their long-lasting performances. Make sure to apply it with a lip liner – that is how it will be perfect, and it will last longer than usual. When it comes to the face, just add a bit of highlighter to the cheekbones, and correct the marks with the concealer.
Eyeliner and Blush
Eyeliner wing will make your eye pops as well prolong it. It is perfect for all seasons. You can also opt for other colors if you like your looks to be more eccentric. However, the black one is classic. Every girl should have one liquid black eyeliner in her cosmetic bag.
Ready for the Beach
Colorful scarves will add boho, summer vibe to your style. Combine the colors with the hues of your makeup and rock this beach look. Make sure your lips are shiny, and your eyes matte. Brush the brows and make them look messy.
All that Glitter
Supermodels adore it, and it is not a surprise. Glitter is the best addition to your makeup routine. It is ultimately stylish, it shines, and it gives you that special look for sophisticated, elegant occasions. Make sure the rest of your makeup is minimal.
Make your face shine with a highlighter and perfect rose blush. Blend it well and enjoy the results. When it comes to the lips, pick some warm pinkish color of meat. It will blend perfectly with your sun-kissed skin and blush.
We are fans of using minimal makeup in the summertime. Only one eyeshadow will be enough to make a statement and make your makeup look great. Make sure your lips stay neutral as well. Just a bit of blush and mattifying foundation make your face look flawless.
For Special Occasions
Wearing coats of makeup in the summertime might not be the best idea. However, if you opt for this kind of makeup, make sure you are heading to some special occasion. Everything should be blended perfectly to stay longer on your face.
Glowy and Natural
This is one of those no-makeup makeup looks that all girls love to wear. Including us. We adore looks that appear so effortless, still makes you shine and your skin glow. Apply a creamy eyeshadow in the nude or beige shade and add creamy lipstick in the same hue.
Sweeping on mascara might seem intuitive, but there’s actually a lash-maximizing technique that when employed correctly can take your eyes from whatever to woah. Ditto brow pencil and even lipstick. Here, Kimberly Soane, the director of artistry at Bobbi Brown, offers up 10 easy tips for every product in your kit.
Never put concealer or foundation on your eyelids as a base, it will cause your eye makeup to crease.
Related Story Getty
Use your fingers to apply your foundation if you want sheer coverage and a brush for medium to full coverage.
Related Story Getty
Always apply powder where you are shiniest first–usually your T-zone–with a very light dusting everywhere else.
You should put bronzer on your neck, face, and chest to even out your skin tone. Be sure to take a step back and make sure everything is the same color.
Related Story Getty
When applying blush, smile, then dust the apples of your cheeks, then sweep pigment towards the tops of ears, then down toward the jawline.
Related Story Getty
Trace brow pencil or powder along the tops of brows for an instant facelift.
Related Story Getty
For even lipstick application, start at the cupid’s bow and extend out to the corners of the mouth before blotting.
Prep lids for any eye look with a matte base shadow that matches the lightest part of your face. Dust the pigment all over lids and up to the brow bone.
Related Story Getty
Instead of looking straight ahead at the mirror, get as close to it as possible, tilt your head up, and bring your chin toward the mirror. Look down as you apply, starting at the inner corner and working your way out.
Related Story Getty
Sweep the wand through the roots of your lashes and zigzag as you work your way up.
I can’t believe I am sharing my first makeup tutorial and calling it the “the Ultimate look” (you have to give it to me for daring it)
Honestly, I am a not a makeup expert. I still can’t apply eyeliner evenly on both of my eyes. But my quest for natural-looking makeup products that don’t rip off the freshness of the skin has helped me to create this effortlessly natural looking makeup look.
When it comes to Summer makeup, the goal should be less is more. Heavy and shiny foundations will melt away in the summer ruining your whole look. Tinted moisturizer with SPF and powder will help you achieve that natural, mess-free makeup look and also protects your skin. This whole look is simple, glowing and currently trending for summer.
Every product I used in this tutorial is 100% natural (free from all harmless chemicals, artificial dyes, and fragrances) and cruelty-free except the Anatasia Eyebrow powder.
Below is the step by step guide to achieve the ultimate summer makeup look
A Natural Summer Makeup Tutorial
Natural Summer Makeup Step 1. Prep your Skin
A Primer has become a necessity in my summer makeup routine. It helps to conceal my pores and creates a smooth canvas for makeup to stick to. It also helps to seal in any skin care product you layered on before applying it while improving the appearance and longevity of the makeup.
I apply it right after my brightening face oil and before the foundation or powder. That way it seals the goodness of the oils.
How to apply– Apply the primer all over the face including eyelids using gentle, and circular motions with your fingertips just like you apply moisturizer but by focusing more on the areas you want to even out.
I use 100% percent pure Luminous Primer. It’s lightweight, goes on silky smooth with no greasy feel. It does an ok job smoothing my pores but gives a radiant glow. The best thing about the primer is it does a good job of locking the moisture from the face oil (that I use as a moisturizer) and keeps my face hydrated throughout the day.
Where to Buy– 100% percent website | Amazon
Natural Summer Makeup Step 2 Protect your skin from the Sun
I am guilty of not wearing a face sunscreen most of the time. That’s because I never found the one that didn’t leave my skin with white residue and oily. I use mostly essentials oils with SPF as sunscreen . But essential oils don’t provide enough protection during summer especially when you are outdoors hiking or soaking in the beach.
Sun Integrity is the by far the best face sunscreen I have used which is also my foundation. It has both texture and tint that actually blends into the skin without leaving any residue. It’s amazing!
The sunscreen is slightly heavy, it might pill up if you wear foundation on top of it. I wear it by itself, so I don’t mind the thickness, it actually gives a moderate coverage. I love the soft and dewy finish but on days when my skin gets more oily, It looks very shiny. So, I usually tone it down with some powder.
You might not love this if you have extremely oily skin but I will definitely suggest you to try it out because it does get absorbed into the skin quickly and you can use powder on top of it to reduce the shine.
How to apply– I apply the foundation to the beauty blender and dab the product on the center of your forehead, under your eyes, cheeks and on your nose and chin. Use a beauty blender or a foundation brush and start at the center of your face and spread the foundation toward your hairline and neck. Beautyblender gives more coverage compared to the brush.
Where to Buy– I am in shade “Golden Light“; Amazon | Credo Beauty
Beauty blender HERE and HERE
Natural Summer Makeup Step 3. Conceal
I was always hesitant to wear concealer because of its heaviness and cakey look but my growing dark circles needed an under eye concealer. I tried Juicy Beauty Concealer after Lakki suggested me and loved the coverage it gave. I borrowed her’s for a trip and never gave it back 😀
It is a full coverage concealer that takes a little bit of time to blend into the skin but once it blends, it gives a very natural look. It works great with the tinted sunscreen. I suggest giving at least 5-8 mins before applying any other product on it. I only use it under eye but you can also use to conceal your acne, blemishes, and pores but mind you, it takes time to blend into the skin. How to apply– Use your fingertips to dab concealer under your eyes and inner corner. Blend the concealer using a concealer brush or beauty blender in a patting motion. Don’t drag it to avoid the concealer from caking and creasing. Where to Buy- I am in shade “Sand“; Amazon | Ulta | Credo beauty
Natural Summer Makeup Step 4: Powder
For someone who doesn’t wear makeup every day, RMS Un powder is perfectly lightweight, yet provides nice coverage. I wear it over the primer on the days I don’t need to wear sunscreen and some days all by itself.
I have combination skin. The Un powder does a good job in keeping my T-zone from getting oily throughout the day. But my cheeks and skin around the lips get dry by noon.
I have to moisturize my face once in the afternoon every day. The trick I follow is, avoid putting moisturizer on the T-zone (nose and forehead) because I don’t carry the powder in my bag every day (which I should start doing it).
How to apply– Use the powder puff it comes it or kabuki brush and apply gently all over the face, concentrating on the T-zone area.
Where to Buy- I’m in shade 2-3; Amazon | Sephora | Credo Beauty | Nordstrom
Natural Summer Makeup Step 5: Blush
After Lipstick, blush is my favorite makeup product. It gives a healthy, youthful glow to your skin. And the RMS LiptoCheek color in Modest gives the best sun-kissed rosy cheeks.
Naked face with bronzer only blush is the trending makeup look right now. This blush actually gives a similar look with a rich berry undertone.
How to apply– Apply the blush on your cheekbones, which you can find by smiling or sucking your cheeks in. Blend it using your fingertips or beauty blender int he upward direction towards the temple.
Where to Buy- I’m wearing in color Modest; Amazon | Sephora | Credo beauty | Nordstrom
My Face after the tinted moisturizer, concealer, powder, and blush. The concealer is 90% blended
Natural Summer Makeup Step 6: Lipstick
Here comes my favorite makeup product that I can’t live without. I shared a lot of my favorite lipsticks in my Sephora natural picks post and on best everyday lipsticks post. I recently tried 100% pure cosmetics cocoa butter Matee lipsticks and absolutely loved them.
They are moisturizing and at the same time gives you a matte finish, the combination I die for (metaphorically). They are not longlasting as Tarte lip paints, you might have to reapply everytime you drink or eat but they are 100% natural, unlike Tarte.
Sahari is a deep nude color, perfect for a beach naked look with flushed cheeks. If you have the darker skin tone, this might be light on your skin. Try winecup, it’s a beautiful berry color, that will suit any skin tone.
How to apply– Apply the color, starting at the center of the upper lip and moving outward toward one corner. Bring the lipstick back to the center and run it outward toward the other corner. Repeat with the lower lip. To fill in any missing color, dab the lipstick with your pinky, then dot the color onto your lips with the finger.
Where to Buy- I’m wearing in shade Sahara; 100% pure cosmetics (in shade Sahara and Winecup) | Amazon (in shade Sahara)
Natural Summer Makeup Step 7: Eyebrows
I have very light eyebrows, so filling them helps to define my brows and brighten my look. Filled brows also help frame your face.
Anastasia brow products are the best in the market but unfortunately, they are not natural. This is the only product, I am still not able to a find a best natural replacement. The product is highly pigmented and a little bit of it is just enough to fill the brows and is super long-lasting.
If you have light brows like me, it might get heavy easily, so be careful, take less product and work with it. Powder eyebrow fillers give the most natural finish since you blend well without leaving harsh lines.
How to apply– Apply the powder onto the brush using the angular brow brush. Start at your arch with short and little strokes, work your way down. Stay within the natural arc of the eyebrow while filling. Use the lighter color in the palette to fill in the head of the brow (the front part) for a natural look. I usually use the darker color for the head of the brow as well but I make sure I use very less product.
Where to Buy- I use in shade Ebony; Sephora | Ulta
Shop This Natural Summer Makeup Post
Wearing Chicwish Dress (in size S)
Bronze Smokey Eye
Try out my natural summer makeup tutorial below!
Shop The Natural Summer Makeup Look:
Summer sun calls for lots of patio dates, floral dresses and minimal makeup. Now is the best time to let your natural beauty shine through! I wanted to share a quick breakdown of my ‘barely there’ makeup look for summer!
Barely There Makeup Tutorial:
I first applied this foundation to create a base and cover any imperfections. I love this foundation for summer as it is medium coverage and doesn’t melt off in the summer heat! The formula is silky smooth – and I use my fingers to apply it for the most sanitary application possible.
Next, I concealed my undereye bags with this concealer. I’ve been on the hunt for a new concealer for some time (they don’t sell Tarte’s Shape Tape Concealer in Canada- tear!) and finally purchased this concealer. So far, so good. It has pretty impressive coverage, yet maintains a lightweight feel on your face. Pale girls – the range of light shades is incredible, with their lightest shade pure white (you have to see this to believe it)!
I applied the tiniest bit of bronzer underneath my cheekbones to slim my face. I used this bronzer with this brush. It’s a match made in heaven! Next, to give a summer glow, I used this super affordable highlighter (one of my new favs!). I adore the rose gold shimmer it adds to every makeup look!
I like to fill in my eyebrows with even the most natural makeup looks. I applied this eyebrow dipbrow pomade with this brush to create some fierce brows!
During summertime, I often skip eye makeup and opt for false lashes. If you can find a pair with bold enough lashes – you don’t even need to apply mascara! I’ve recently discovered Private Label Extensions and their amazing 3D mink lashes! I’ve tried countless brands of false lashes and I can honestly say this is the first pair I haven’t had to use a drop of eyeliner or mascara to accentuate the lashes! I don’t have any eyeliner or mascara on in these photos! The band is thick enough it gives off the illusion of black eyeliner, which I personally love! The individual eyelashes are super long, thin and have a “fluffy” look – mimicking real lashes! I used this pair for this makeup look! They retail for $11 each set (can be re-used multiple times) or 5 sets for $50.
To finish off the look, I applied this lipstick for a subtle pop of color. I adore the creamy formula of this lipstick and there are so many gorgeous shades in this line of lipstick. The cherry on top? Each lipstick is under $2! Steal!
Shop My Natural Summer Makeup Look:
Want more? Check out these makeup tutorials:
Summer is for tans, obvi. For a bronzed diva look, check out this bronze smokey eye look!
Thank you to Private Label Extensions for sponsoring this discussion. As usual, all options are mine alone.
Glow Up Challenge: How To Become Prettier In One Month
Helps with Hair, Skin, Makeup, BEAUTY Updated on December 26, 2019
Ads and affiliate links help us run this site and show you the products we find helpful. You may find them in this post content.
3991shares Next season is coming our way faster than I expected. And even though I don’t have to worry about getting back to school or uni anymore, August will always be the month of “glow up” time for me.
I used to do it every summer before school, then – before uni, and it kind of turned every August into meditative time, filled with beauty routines and self-care. Call it a nice way to say goodbye to summer and get ready for busy autumn days 🥰 (P. S. you can do this glow up challenge AT ANY time of the year!)
I think it’s super useful to have a month where you kind of dedicate a little more time to yourself, focus on improving your wellness, health and looks. And yes, I know that this month is also one of the busiest for many women… So it’s just another reason to do it.
“Yeah… Wait, what?”
That’s right. The more work or chores you have to do, the more you need your self care. Now that I’m working full-time in my office (and I mean waking up at 6 A.M. and getting back home at 21-22 P.M.), I can feel this very well. Skip your self care for a week or two and you’re starting to look tired, the stress-weight starts to add on + you’re on the way to burnout, which is way harder to recover from than just simple everyday tiredness.
“Ok, but I don’t have time for this. I don’t have time for anything!”
Trust me, you do. And I’m going to show you how! This glow up challenge includes both the activities that require a little more time and also – quite a few that are quick and integrate seamlessly in your everyday life so it won’t take much of your busy schedule.
Don’t believe me? Hit this video to get 5 quick ways to INSTANTLY become prettier before we move on to the big beauty plans! *claps*
After doing this glow up challenge, you will:
- Feel physically better, healthier & stronger;
- Probably shed a few pounds, in a 100% healthy way;
- Look better, prettier & glowier;
- Possibly develop new, healthy habits.
And please know that this is not only for your looks! Feeling pretty and “put together” definitely adds a good amount of joyful mood too.
I know that it’s sometimes hard to take care of yourself, especially if you are tired or struggling with bad mood, lack of motivation, anxiety… But sometimes doing a few things for yourself helps to push quite a chunk of these negative feelings away.
So… Are you ready to do this with me?
What You Will Learn
PART 1: BODY GLOW UP
This part is about getting healthier, a little more fit, and prettier body-wise. I will not be talking about huge body makeovers here because let’s be realistic – those require way more time (if you’re committed for long-term body changes, I highly recommend you to go through my “Master The Weight Loss Mindset” class to prep your mindset). But for a fast body glow up (just fast enough to get you ready for fall), here’s what you can do now:
1. Start Upping Your Water Intake
The reason why I love drinking a lot of water is not just because it keeps you healthy and energetic. It also shows that you’ve been drinking it:
- Staying well hydrated helps your skin become clearer, prettier and healthier;
- It helps you flush out bloatedness that comes with eating too much salt and not drinking enough water;
- Also, say what you want, but it’s definitely easier to shed a few pounds when drinking enough of H2O.
So make it your step one and start drinking more water today (and this doesn’t take any extra time, ain’t it? 😊)
P. S. Hate plain water? Add some taste with fruits, mint or cucumber!
And having a pretty water bottle can also help you to build this healthy habit:
Hip 22 oz. Plastic Water Bottle with Silicone Sleeve
Yomious 20 Oz Borosilicate Glass Water Bottle with Bamboo Lid
2. Start Eating More Veggies & Fruits
Eating more veggies & fruits is beneficial for us all + it’s a perfect way to shed a few pounds without feeling like you’re dieting. Here’s how to do it:
- With every meal, opt for a big salad as a side or choose grilled veggies, veggie soups, and stews.
- If you can, make one of your daily meals a veggie-based one.
- Have a fruit smoothie every day (it’s perfect for breakfast!). To make it more filling and satisfying, add a little bit of healthy protein or fat like nuts, peanut butter, chia seeds.
- If it’s hard for you to keep up with this, try focusing more on healthy proteins, like beans, lentils, and chickpeas as they’re just as good for your body too.
Eating this way will boost your metabolism and help you become more fit, improve circulation and make your skin softer.
When I want to eat healthier, I also use this little mindset hack: imagine that every single veggie or fruit you eat is going to make you prettier and happier. And it’s not imaginary – every healthy food IS actually giving your body nutrients that are necessary for your skin, nails, hair and cognitive functions.
Just one thing to remember – all foods have calories. Some have more, some have less, but if you want to lose weight while glowing up, you have to make sure you are not overeating these healthy foods. It is a myth that simply eating healthy is enough to lose weight… It doesn’t work like that unless you’re an athlete.
It always comes down to the calories in and calories out. If you consume fewer calories than your body uses up, you will lose weight. Alternatively, if you consume more than you use up, you will gain weight, even if you’re just eating avocados and healthy energy bites.
If you want to find out the number of calories you need + keep track of your daily consumption, I recommend MyFitnessPal app – it’s very helpful and accurate!
3. Start Doing a Few Short Workouts Every Day
I know you don’t have time. Or energy. I don’t either (yet!).
But working out is an essential part of “glowing up”. So let’s be smart and make this work, even if you’re super busy. Here’s how:
- Instead of committing to a long workout once a day, commit to just a few 10-15 minute workouts that you can fit in your schedule whenever you have a small gap in it.
- I personally love doing a short 15-minute workout in the morning and one in the evening. It’s enough to make your body warm, make your heart beat faster and it totals in 30 minutes of exercising every day. On days when I have more spare time, I incorporate even more of these quickies (“that’s what she said” – Michael S.), so I can reap more benefits.
- This method is also great if you’re overweight and it’s hard for you to start with full workouts. Doing a little bit, a few times a day will help your body get gradually stronger and kind of prepare you for bigger workouts later.
- Use some weights! The faster you make your muscles stronger, the sooner you will start burning more calories and it will result in your body getting fitter.
P. S. Want to get real serious about your glow up goals? Grab these printable tools to organize your self care, body, beauty & wellness routines!
Wellness Planner Printable / 9 Pages
Monthly Goal Planner / 13 Pages
Meal Planner Printable
Do you absolutely hate working out? Here’s how to learn to enjoy it!
4. Fancy Some Tan?
A healthy glow for me is one of the most important “glow up” tasks. It’s just something about bronzy skin that makes a person look healthier (and did I mention that drastically improves the way your makeup looks?).
When I was a teenager, I used to spend my whole summer tanning on the beach just to get that dark tan before school. I know – unhealthy! I don’t do this anymore.
If you want to have a beautiful tan and stay healthy while doing that, you will have to choose self-tanner as an alternative. Yes, it requires quite some time to keep up with a good self-tanning routine (most tans need to be “built-up” and they don’t last more than a week), but here’s what you can do to outsmart this!
Recently, I fell in love with this – shall I say – revolutionary self-tanner by St. Tropez:
St. Tropez Gradual Tan In Shower Lotion Golden Glow Medium
With this self-tanner, you can skip all those long self-tanner application – waiting – showering routines because this one is used in the shower, for three minutes, and washed off afterward.
Yes!! Now you can shower AND tan at the same time! I couldn’t believe it at first either.
It works just perfectly, the color is nice and natural, no sticky feeling, no streaks, no dreading that your self-tanner will stain your clothes and you can gradually build it up to the color you want. You will still get a little bit of self-tanner smell with it, but I noticed that it’s much less detectable than with other tans.
You can get this tanner in a lighter or darker shade on Amazon:
St. Tropez Gradual Tan In Shower Lotion Golden Glow Medium
ST. TROPEZ Gradual Tan In Shower Lotion Light
More self-tanner tips: 5 Critical Self Tanner Tips For a Natural Tan All Year Round
PART 2: FACE GLOW UP
This part focuses on small beauty improvements that you can do for your face, especially your skin.
1. Let’s Get That Skin Glowing
I have great news for you here – if you’re already doing the Body part, your face is getting prettier just because of that. Now, to make your face really glow, here’s what you can do:
- Start using gentle exfoliators with acids to shed dead skin cells and reveal new, baby-like skin. My favorite pick here is the Glycolic Acid, which is super effective and gentle enough for any type of skin (just don’t overdo it, once a week is completely enough). You can read my whole Glycolic Acid guide here.
- Start doing face massage with oils every week. I love face massages! They definitely help you get that glowing, healthy, smooth skin. You can choose olive oil, coconut oil (this one is also antibacterial and good for acne skin), but my favorite one is Rose Hip Seed Oil. This oil has practically transformed my skin and I think it’s because it’s high in natural retinol. You can read my review here.
- Start using face masks every week. Sheet masks work wonders and are not expensive, so what I like to do is just pick a few at the drugstore, preferably the natural ones, and have them ready in case I find a few minutes to relax with a mask on. Masks are concentrated with hydrating and replenishing ingredients so it’s a perfect way to glowy, pretty skin.
- Get generally better at skincare with this helpful list.
“Okay, no time for all of this.”
That’s fine, here’s how to make this work on a busy schedule:
- Instead of doing this on separate days, pick one day where you can find 20 minutes for yourself. This is enough to do all these 3 steps together. Exfoliate > Oil Massage > Mask > You’re done in 20 minutes and leave everything else to a healthy diet and working out. Trust me, it’s more effective than you think.
2. Other Face “Glow Ups”
- Do an eyebrow inspection. Are they even? Are they overplucked or too thin? In that case, consider regrowing them and reshaping into a more natural, fuller shape. Now, they take some time to grow back, but you can hide it pretty well with good makeup and rock that fuller brow until it actually grows back. Another thing I recommend to do is checking if the eyebrow pencil or shadow you’re using is not too dark for your face.
- Take care of facial hairs. Some people love waxing or epilating, but I can’t stand this excruciating pain and opt for a simple feminine facial blade, also called “derma planning razor”. This tool is a very sharp blade (gotta be extra careful with it!) and it removes facial hair just perfectly. You can use it on your upper lip, on your peach fuzz and it leaves your skin extremely smooth. I know what you want to ask… No – your hair does NOT grow back darker! I didn’t notice any change in hair thickness or color at all. You can get one on Amazon here.
- Lip care. Stop living with dry and flaky lips. You probably don’t even know how beautiful your lips are! Try a lip scrub (simple sugar + olive oil works great) and invest in a good, moisturizing lip balm. Just try it and you will be surprised how pretty your lips actually are and how much can they add to your look.
- Teeth. A brighter smile is always attractive, so if you want to glow up, don’t skip this one. You can use baking soda and even activated charcoal to gently remove any teeth stains there are or, if you want a stronger effect, opt for a few rounds of teeth whitening strips. Just as with everything – be gentle, don’t overdo this, you don’t want to sacrifice your teeth just for the whiter color of it.
PART 3: HAIR GLOW UP
Let’s admit, our hair plays a significant role in the way we look. Let’s glow it up too!
1. Trim The Split Ends.
Do you hate this sentence? 😊 Me too, but those dry ends really don’t make your hair prettier… Trim them. Just do it! Schedule that salon visit, do it and move on. (Asking your hairdresser to be careful with length also helps…)
2. Renew The Color.
If you are dyeing your hair, renewing the color can feel very refreshing and make a whole difference in the way your hair looks. You don’t have to change your color (unless you want some big changes in your appearance), simply coloring it the same color again will make your hair look healthier, shinier and the color more vibrant.
3. Explore New Hair Style Ideas
If it’s been a long time since you’ve changed your hairstyle overall, now is the perfect time to dive on the internet and see what’s new! There are so many new hairstyle ideas you can try, even without changing color or hair length if you don’t want to. If you trust your hairstylist, you can ask for his / her opinion of what could fit you and look stylish every day.
View this post on Instagram
KATHERINE 💕👸🏼🦋💘 Balayage by @oliviaghair 🙌🏻 0151 7290302 or 💋💌💋
4. Heal Your Hair
Summer sun, hair dyes, cheap products are hard on your hair, so if you want to glow up, I highly recommend investing in a few quality products to heal whatever hair damage you have. Now here’s the secret – it doesn’t have to be expensive. I’ve completely healed my hair with natural remedies once, but this requires more time and patience. If you want to heal your hair fast and skip the whole searching-for-good-products part, try out my favorite brand – Giovanni:
Giovanni 2Chic Brazilian Keratin and Argan Oil Ultra-Sleek Shampoo, 24 oz.
GIOVANNI – 2Chic Brazilian Keratin & Argan Oil Ultra-Sleek Conditioner, 24 Oz
These products are extremely powerful and they can heal dry and damaged hair in just a few uses, making your hair EXTREMELY soft, shiny and healthy. This brand is my absolute favorite when it comes to hair and I haven’t found anything else so effective yet. In fact, this particular Brazilian Keratin line is always sold out where I live so it just shows how good these products are (and it’s also a little annoying to be honest!). You can get these on Amazon by clicking links above 😉
P. S. This is not a sponsored post and all the recommendations are based on my real experience. Here’s what I use for my hair right now (should I make a review?):
PART 4 : GLOW UP YOUR NAILS
I wish I could have long nails… I kind of go crazy for forms and colors like these:
View this post on Instagram
But it’s impossible to rock these when I’m clapping on my keyboard 24/7. However, keeping nails pretty and tidy, even if they’re not long, is just a must – no matter what your work is. It’s a sign of good personal hygiene and also – a pretty important part of your glow up plan.
If you don’t like long nails, shorter ones can look just as good!
View this post on Instagram
#nails #nailmaster #manicure #followme #followforfollowback #followme #followmetoo #follow4follow
Now, this one is pretty simple. Decide on how you’re going to keep your hand and feet nails pretty – and make that happen! You can do it at home, or the salon, or maybe your friend is an aspiring nail artist (call her now!!) – just keep those nails, cuticles, and toenails tidy.
THE BOTTOM LINE
As with everything, there’s always an option to do more… I didn’t want this glow up challenge to feel overwhelming so I focused on what’s most important. Feel free to add more ideas to your plan.
I hope this challenge will help you glow up before the next season, or whenever you want to boost your appearance! Let me know your thoughts at the bottom of this page.
P. S. Get more beauty improvement tips right here!
Was this helpful?
Click one of these buttons to rate this article. Glow Up Challenge: How To Become Prettier In One Month 3991sharesNext season is coming our way faster than I expected. And even though I don’t have to worry about getting back to school or uni anymore, August will always be the month of “glow up” time for me. I used to do it every summer before school, then – before uni, and it kind of 4 1 5 514 😍 Like this! 403 😊 It’s okay 106 🤔 Didn’t like 5
Amber @ ShineSheets
Founder of ShineSheets.com // Always on a mission to improve your life.
Pinterest + Instagram + Facebook + Twitter
There are some beauty staples you can transition seamlessly from season to season—a red lip, a cat-eye, a layer of SPF even on the cloudiest of days. Others require a customized approach for each new season; you wouldn’t slather on your thickest winter moisturizers in the summer would you? Exactly. Because warmer weather brings different concerns (like burning) and inspires our desires for different looks (glowy no makeup-makeup), we’ve rounded up 20 must-know beauty tips that will help you have your most gorgeous summer yet.
MORE: Beauty Secret Ingredient: Dead Sea Salt
Graphic Design by Candace Napier
Let’s start this conversation off with the topic of SPF, because we already know those UVA/UVB rays are going to be changing they way we pretty much do everything. So, to be pretty blunt, use it!
1. Choose the right sunscreen. This involves a few different factors, so let’s break it down right away for you.
- Remember what that SPF number means: it tells you how long you can stay in the sun without getting burned. An SPF of 15 means that you can be in the sun for fifteen times longer without burning than you’d be able to without sunscreen. If you’re planning on being outside for hours, a higher SPF may be appropriate.
- But, slapping on an SPF 60 once in the morning doesn’t mean you’re protected for the rest of the day. Sunscreens wear off surprisingly fast, even faster if you come in contact with water. Even most high quality waterproof sunscreens only have a resiliency for about 80 minutes, and that’s without toweling off. To play it safe, reapply often and take breaks from direct sunlight. Remember, sunscreen can only protect you from sun damage, it can’t reverse any damage already done. If you get burnt, you’re burnt.
- But a good SPF isn’t the only thing you need to look for—you need to make sure that your sunscreen of choice offers broad spectrum protection. This means it’s going to protect you from both UVB rays (which cause burning) and the deeper-penetrating UVA rays (which cause premature aging, fine lines, and can cause skin cancer). Reach for a sunscreen like La Roche-Posay Anthelios Ultra Light Suncreen Fluid that blocks both UVA/UVB rays, and go for physical sunscreens if you’re sensitive to chemicals.
2. Apply generously. Wearing sunscreen is a great start, but it won’t live up to its sun protection potential if you’re not putting enough on. The American Academy of Dermatology recommends following the “one ounce, enough to fill a shot glass” rule. That means applying as much sunscreen as would fit into a shot glass over every exposed part of your body. This will tell how long your tube of sunscreen will last—hint, probably not the entire summer.
3. Don’t lean on clothes for protection. Covering up is a great added measure of protection, but experts say that an average tee only provides an SPF of about 8. Pretty slim, right? Load up on the sunscreen before covering up with clothes, whether than be linen or board shorts.
4. Don’t miss those hard-to-reach or easily forgotten spots, like your ears, behind your knees, the tops of your feet, and even your scalp. If it’s exposed, it’s getting some love from the sun.
MORE: Chlorine Can Do a Number on Hair–Here’s How to Fix It
Graphic Design by Candace Napier
5. Try non-comedogenic products. This is important to remember for sunscreen, too, but may impact you more if you moisturize often and are prone to acne. Non-comedogenic beauty products are designed not to clog pores (which can lead to irritation and blemishes). This is especially important in summer: hot and humid weather leads to sweat, which takes a longer time to evaporate off your skin, and combining that with oily products isn’t exactly a party for your pores. Go the oil-free or non-comedogenic route to ward off pimples.
6. Stay moisturized. You may have let up on this a little since winter left the premises, but don’t give it up for good. A solid moisturizing routine can do so many beneficial things for your complexion! Your skin is a barrier that protects you from environmental aggressors like pollution, bacteria and moisture loss, and keeping it moisturized helps keep that barrier working properly. Dry skin is unhappy, damage-prone skin, so apply a light moisturizer to protect it from summertime drying agents like sunburns, salt and chlorine.
7. Exfoliate at the right times. Not only will it help you maintain a fresh fake tan (when your dead skin cells flake off, the old tan will come off with it), but gentle facial exfoliation will help keep your skin free of clogged pores and create a better canvas for makeup application. However, keep in mind that exfoliation reveals new, sensitive skin that could be more prone to burning in the sun. Reserve your exfoliating habits for the evening, or for days when you aren’t heading straight from the shower to the pool.
8. Aloe is your new best friend. A known anti-inflammatory that also provides moisturizing relief, applying aloe vera-containing products after exposure to the sun will calm and soothe your skin, leaving you far less likely to experience that awful scaly dryness that comes with summer. It’s also said to contain antioxidants that can help repair damaged skin and prevent free radicals from doing their undesirable work. Vaseline Intensive Care makes a body lotion infused with aloe that rehydrates and calms your skin, helping to undo past damage as it prevents future issues.
9. Invest in a moisturizer that works on wet skin. Don’t skip on the after-bathing rehydration! Tons of brands make body washes that provide hydration via the oils in their ingredients list, but because we live in the future, companies are now creating moisturizers that you can apply before you even towel off. Yep: the new generation of post-shower moisturizers won’t clump or leave a weird residue on your skin, no matter how wet your skin is when you apply them. As the name implies, Jergen’s new Wet Skin Moisturizer is designed to be applied before you even step out of the shower, because your pores are open and susceptible to taking in moisture. Just rub it in and you’re done!
10. Don’t shave your bikini line right before the beach. This skin is some of the more sensitive and prone to irritation, so shaving or waxing off layers of dead skin cells and then exposing it to harsh sunlight, salt and chlorine? That’s just begging for bumps, ingrown hairs and razor burn. Be smart; time your hair removal efforts several hours before engaging in summer activities, not seconds before you run out the door.
Graphic Design by Candace Napier
11. Change up your shades. Because seriously, who wants to look like you’re wearing a too-pale foundation mask? It’s annoying but true: as your skin gets that pretty, sun-kissed glow, you may need a different shade of foundation and concealer to accommodate changes between your winter and summer coloring. You can even opt for a tinted moisturizer a shade darker than you’d wear in winter; we love BareMinerals Complexion Rescue Tinted Moisturizer Gel, which comes in 10 shades and has an SPF of 30. Pro tip: match the foundation shade to your skin on your face, not on any limb, as those tend to be darker than the rest of your body.
12. Cream eyeshadow will change your life. Cream shadows often are often more water-resistant and long-wearing than their powdery sisters, making them ideal for summertime. Powder shadows can travel along with the sweat and oils of your face and end up in areas you never intended for them to be. Tarte’s Amazonian Clay Waterproof Cream Eyeshadows are amazing; plus, if you pick one that’s a shade lighter than your skin tone or in a pretty pink shade, these gems can double as highlighters and even blush. How’s that for packing light?
13. Don’t forget a primer. The oils of your skin are known to separate the pigments in foundation, making it look uneven and blotchy. Primer creates a shield and prevents foundation and your skin’s natural oils from mingling. Stila’s Aqua Glow Perfecting Primer delivers cooling hydration while blurring out imperfections and making you look beautiful before you even put on any foundation. Since pores generally open up in warmer weather (which makes them a bit more visible to the naked eye), anything that works to blur that canvas will help you out.
14. Go waterproof. Eyelashes are tiny hairs, so keep them well-nourished, clump-free, and free of smears by using a waterproof mascara that is enriched with good-for-you oils, like our beloved Rimmel London’s Wonder’Lash Mascara With Argan Oil. And to avoid those awful under-eye smears, avoid applying mascara on your lower lashes: oils and sweat will collect under your eyes in the summer, and this could lead to transfer.
15. Use bronzer correctly. If we could tell the world just one thing, it would be that bronzer isn’t a second-step foundation, and you don’t wear it all over your face. Keep it on the apples of the cheeks if you just want a little tint, or lightly apply it over your forehead and right below your cheek bone. Be sure to blend harsh lines and keep metallics to a minimum to avoid an overly shiny look.
16. Blot or spray, don’t smear. If you need to remove oils or sweat from your face, taking a sheet of blotting paper and lightly touch it to your skin so it can absorb some of the oil. Rubbing will just smear the oils and your makeup around your face, which is not the look. When it comes to refreshing your face, don’t layer on pounds of extra product—these refreshing sprays will save the day. Keep them handy after makeup application to set your look, provide moisture that won’t remove your makeup, and (HUGE plus!) add a little bit of extra SPF protection as well. Many are formulated with aloe to soothe skin along the way, too.
17. Pick a stain. In summer, lip stains are the way to go: they don’t feel heavy on your lips and won’t roll off with sweat. YSL’s is super glossy for that “just jumped out of the pool” lip look, in addition to keeping your pout hydrated for up to 10 hours, and comes in really fun, eye-catching shades.
MORE: 10 Waterproof Beauty Products You Need to Know About
Graphic Design by Candace Napier
18. Get beachy. Utilize the texturizing effect of salt by taking a dip in the ocean and letting your hair air-dry for those perfectly beachy waves that scream summertime. If the sea is nowhere around, get the look for yourself at home sans surf with an oil-infused salt spray (we’re partial to Bumble and Bumble Surf Infusion) that won’t dry hair out.
19. Clarify! Indulge in a clarifying shampoo and a UV ray protectant styling spray. Not only blondes have to worry about chlorine, salt, and sun going to town on hair color. These products will help tone your hair color and remove product build-up while cleansing your hair.
20. Keep it wet. Before going into the ocean or the pool, wet your hair. This saturates the cuticle with water so that less chemicals can enter and damage the integrity of the hair.
How to get pretty over the summer?
Hey, I’m in the like the same position as you! I’m starting high school soon & I’m about 5 ft. tall. (:
first off, YOU DO NOT NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT. I weigh like the same as you, and trust me, I’m skinny. If you don’t have an hourglass figure, it just means you haven’t completely gone through puberty yet. Your “girl’s figure” will come soon enough. If you just want more muscle, which can tone your arms and legs, just keep up a routine of doing a certain amount of pushups, sit-ups, and leg lifts each night. Increase that number every week.
This article can help you have clear skin. Just keep up the routine all summer:
For a pretty face, there’s not all that much you can do if your face is ugly. It would be nice if I could see what you look like. Whether or not you already wear makeup is good to know also. But if you smile a lot, and always seem happy, you will look pretty. (: if you don’t wear makeup, start out by using powder from a compact (unless you have lots of acne, which means you can wear foundation, but make sure you put it on right or it looks patchy and really bad. You also should make sure you have the right shade of foundation, powder and concealer.) And dabbing a tiny bit of concealer underneath your eyes to hide dark circles. Use and eyelash curler and mascara (i recommend Maybelline Falsies mascara in black). Your eyeshadow is prettier when its not heavy, and is in shades like brown, white, or silver. You can also use liquid eyeliner on your top lashes, or just regular eyeliner. And eyeliner on your bottom lashes too. By the way, DONT USE CHEAP MAKEUP, because it’s not good quality and will make you look bad. You can use drugstore brands like Covergirl, Maybelline, Neutrogena, etc. You should straighten your hair too (but use a heat protectant spray so your hair doesnt get dry and frizzy!) and I mean REALLY straighten. Do it in layers, one at a time, and spend a lot of time in one place to get it really straight. You can get highlights too, if your hair is blonde or brown, and maybe a feather extension because those are getting really popular.
If you have a flat chest you can wear a push-up bra, but I wouldn’t recommend it, it’ll make you feel fake. And another thing you can do is make sure all your clothes are trendy. Shop at places like PINK, Forever 21, H&M, Charlotte Russe, Delias, etc. Update your wardrobe.
I really hope I helped. This took forever. (: but always remember, as long as you have friends and people that love you, you’re always pretty. <3