Courtesy of Paul Mitchell
- Top score for drying hair quickly in lab analysis
- Ample airflow
- Includes attached tie for cord
- Good cord length
- Difficult to hold
This Paul Mitchell hair dryer performed quite well at drying hair quickly and quietly, but it didn’t impress our consumer testers. It was voted the least-comfortable to hold and also the heaviest. Still, testers said it “did a good job at drying hair” and “wasn’t too hot.” We noticed that the controls don’t offer much flexibility, because the settings for temperature and airflow can’t be individually set — they’re combined in one control that can either be increased or decreased.
BUY NOW: amazon.com
How We Tested: Experts in our Health, Beauty, and Environmental Sciences Lab assessed hair dryers for rate of drying, air volume flow, weight, noise, air and surface temperature, and cord length. Five consumer testers were given a hair dryer to use at home over two to three days, then completed an online survey.
Reviewed: December 2016
Price When Reviewed: $170.00
Controls: LCD Display
Concentrator: One and collapsible diffuser
Cool shot button: Yes
Neuro Dry Hair Dryer
- Begin with freshly washed hair, and towel dry to remove excess moisture.
- Apply to hair either Paul Mitchell Fast Form Cream Gel for a smooth and shiny blowout, or Thicken Up Styling Liquid for major body and volume.
- Section the hair into 4 equal parts using Paul Mitchell ProClips.
- Starting at the nape of the neck, use the Paul Mitchell Express Ion Round brush (any size) to wrap a section of hair.
- For added volume, begin section by pointing the nozzle upward at the roots and blow-drying for added lift.
- Pull the brush through the section as you continue to blow-dry, pointing the nozzle downward onto hair to eliminate frizz and add shine.
- As you pull the brush through the hair, follow it with the dryer to evenly distribute the heat for a fast dry.
- When you reach the end of the hair, either turn the brush inward or outward depending on the style.
- Lock in style by pressing the cool shot button.
- Continue through all sections until hair is completely dry and styled.
For Curly Hair Types
- Attach the silicone collapsible diffuser.
- Begin by drying the hair at a low heat and speed at the roots using circular motions, always moving in the same direction.
- Finish by increasing the heat and gathering sections of hair into the diffuser for gentle drying and styling.
- For maximum volume, point the dryer at the roots.
- To set the style, release a cool shot of air.