- Chili Dogs
- Why We Love This Chili Recipe
- What Can You Put This Chili On Besides Hot Dogs?
- What Can You Substitute In This Hot Dog Chili?
- Can You Freeze Chili?
- Looking For More Chili Recipes?
- Best Chili Dog Recipe
- Chili Cheese Dogs
- How to Make the BEST Chili Dog Recipe
- Homemade Hot Dog Chili
- Stay in the know
- How to make this Coney Island Hot Dog Recipe
- What to serve with Coney Island Hot Dogs
- More Chili Dog Recipes:
- The Very Best Hot Dog Chili Recipe
- How do you make hot dog chili sauce?
- How to make a Chili Cheese Dog?
- What other toppings can you put on a hot dog?
- The Very Best Hot Dog Chili Sauce Recipe
- Put a skillet over medium heat and drizzle in a 2-count of olive oil. When the oil gets hazy, add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until it is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the ground beef, breaking it up with the back of a spoon, and cook until nicely browned, about 10 more minutes. Stir in the ketchup, chili powder, and mustard and simmer for 15 minutes until thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
- While the chili is cooking, get the grill going. Place a large grill pan on 2 burners over medium-high heat or preheat an outdoor gas or charcoal barbecue and get it very hot. Take a few paper towels and fold them several times to make a thick square. Blot a small
- amount of oil on the paper towel. Then carefully and quickly wipe the hot grates of the grill to make a nonstick grilling surface.
- Bring a pot of water up to a simmer and parboil the dogs for about 5 minutes. Take them out of the water, pat them dry, and grill them just long enough to mark them. (That’ll give them a grilled flavor too.) Brush the insides of the rolls with olive oil and lay them face down on the grill; cook until toasty. To serve, put a dog in each roll and top with the chili and some Cheddar.
Make this Hot Dog Chili Recipe to pile on top of your hot dogs! This simple beef chili is delicious on hamburgers, french fries and nachos too!
We love this chili recipe for spooning over hot dogs, baked potatoes, french fries, even burgers! Also be sure and try our EVERYDAY CHILI RECIPE that’s super kid friendly!
Why We Love This Chili Recipe
First of all, we love chili. Chili recipes in all forms work for us. But when you’re looking for a basic, bean-free chili recipe this is the one you need.
The key to making this chili is cooking it low and slow for about an hour and a half. You can definitely dive in after an hour or even 45 minutes, but the flavor keeps getting better and better the longer you cook it.
But do watch the heat so the chili doesn’t scorch the bottom of your pot and make sure to get in there and stir it every once in a while. Making sure you have a good, heavy bottomed dutch oven is also a key to making this hot dog chili recipe.
There’s also a good amount of chopped onions in this recipe but they cook down so much you won’t even know they’re in there. Those onions are just there to add tons of flavors, not like the raw onions you might add on top of your chili dog.
Also make sure when you’re browning the ground beef that you break it up into really small crumbles. That way when you go to spoon the chili over a hot dog or burger it’s not going to fall off in big pieces. That’s why we love this hot dog chili recipe, not only for the taste and flavor but because it works.
What Can You Put This Chili On Besides Hot Dogs?
So of course we’re going to be making tons and tons of chili dogs here, but please don’t stop there! Like I mentioned before, you can use this chili recipe and a topping for hamburgers, nachos, french fries and so much more.
• Make taco bowls or burrito bowls
• Spoon over rice or pasta
• Stir into macaroni and cheese
• Stuff into baked potatoes and top with cheese
• Scrape out centers of zucchini halves, add chili, cheese and bake
• Use as a filling for stuffed peppers
• East as is for a low carb meal
What Can You Substitute In This Hot Dog Chili?
Definitely ground turkey or even ground pork but I wouldn’t try ground chicken in this chili recipe. Ground chicken, to me, is pretty bland because it’s so lean so I don’t think you’re going to get the right flavor for this recipe.
The rest of the ingredients are pretty basic so I don’t think you’ll need to be substituting that many ingredients, it’s just a basic beef chili we’re making here. A perfect beef chili recipe that’s going to become a staple at your house, guaranteed!
Can You Freeze Chili?
Chili is one of the best make ahead meals ever! We make a big batch (sometimes a double) of this chili to eat for dinner and leftovers then we freeze the rest in portions that our boys can take out and eat when they want.
Also a win win when your kids can feed themselves. Am I right? Take out a frozen bag of chili, heat it up and then they can make whatever they want. Which usually means cheesy chips and chili for dip in our house, but I’m good with that.
Looking For More Chili Recipes?
- THAI PEANUT CHICKEN CHILI
- FIESTA SAUSAGE CHILI
- RANCH TURKEY WHITE CHILI
- SPICY WHITE BEAN TURKEY CHILI
This simple beef chili recipe is perfect for serving on hot dogs, baked potatoes, french fires or nachos!
1/4 cup olive oil, divided
2 1/2 pounds lean ground beef (93%)
1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup finely diced onion
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/4 cup flour
1 cup beef broth
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil to a heavy bottomed pot or dutch oven over medium heat, then add the ground beef, salt and pepper. Brown the beef, breaking up into small crumbles as it cooks.
Drain the beef and any grease form the pot and transfer the beef to a bowl.
Turn the heat down to low, then add the other 2 tablespoons of olive oil along with the onions.
Cook the onions for 7-8 minutes, frequently stirring so they don’t burn.
Next add the garlic, tomato paste, cumin and chili powder stirring into the onions and Worcestershire sauce, then add the flour and cook for 1 minute.
Add the beef back to the pot then pour in the broth and stir. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down to a simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
Taste for seasonings and serve as is or on hot dogs, hamburgers or spooned over french fries!
Keywords: chili recipe, low carb chili, beanless chili, beef chili, hot dog chili, low carb meals, low carb recipes, ground beef recipes, dinner recipes
This Chili Dog Recipe all baked together on a sheet pan is the BEST Chili Dog Recipe ever! These Chili Cheese Dogs topped with the best hot dog chili recipe. If you’re in the mood for comfort food (toasted buns, grilled hot dogs, best ever chili, and of course tons of cheese) this recipe is for you!
Best Chili Dog Recipe
If you’re looking for the Best Chili Dog Recipe, you’ve come to the right place! These baked chili cheese dogs are SO good, so cheesy, and so perfect for game day!
A good chili dog recipe is something I CRAVE in the summer time. There’s something magical that happens when you make chili cheese dogs on a sheet pan. I can’t explain it, but trust me. You’ll know what I mean as soon as you try this chili dog bake!
These chili dogs are topped with best ever hot dog chili recipe, LOTS of cheese, and then baked to perfection. This is such an easy way to make chili cheese dogs for a crowd. It’s one of my go-to recipes for big game days, like the Super Bowl. It’s a sure fire way to please everyone!
This is the best chili dog recipe and I know you all will love it just as much as I do!
This chili dog recipe is the perfect Super Bowl food. Baked chili cheese dogs for the win!
Chili Cheese Dogs
An amazing Chili Cheese Dog topped with the World’s Best Chili Recipe can turn any frown upside down!
No matter what I did to make them look beautiful, they still look like…Chili Dogs. But trust me, this recipe makes the BEST EVER CHILI DOG. There’s really nothing too high tech about them, they’re just delicious.
This Chili Dog recipe is the ultimate comfort food. Perfect for a quick dinner, game day tailgating, and easy to make for a crowd. Pretty? No. Amazingly crave worthy? YES.
How to Make the BEST Chili Dog Recipe
Since this recipe involves homemade hot dog chili, you’ll need to make that first. Use our favorite chili recipe here. If you’re planning to make these chili cheese dogs for game day, or something else you can plan ahead, then make the chili at least the day before. You can actually make it well ahead of time and freeze it too. Whatever works for you!
How to make chili cheese dogs:
- Place the hot dog buns (inside down) on a skillet over medium high heat, and give them a quick toasting.
- Now arrange the buns on a baking dish (something rimmed or with high sides), and place the onions, cilantro, and ketchup inside. Then sprinkle them with cheese.
- Place a hot dog inside each bun, top with lots of chili, and then top with LOTS of cheese.
- Cover the baking dish with foil, then bake for 30 minutes at 375°F.
Take them out, give them a few minutes to cool, and then serve! If you want, take the foil off at the end and broil them for a few minutes. This will make them extra toasty! Be sure to check the recipe card below for the full recipe details.
Homemade Hot Dog Chili
So what makes these the Best Ever Chili Dogs? THE BEST CHILI RECIPE of course! My mom’s famous chili recipe turns out to be an amazing hot dog chili recipe. I mean, if you want to eat it all on it’s own, just wait until you taste on top of a hot dog, covered in cheese!
You will not believe how delicious (and easy) that chili is. Make a big batch to eat for dinner, then save it to make these hot dogs. Oh and don’t forget to add a TON of cheese. The more cheese the better! That’s what makes them chili CHEESE dogs after all. Listen, if you’re going to eat chili dogs you can’t worry about the calories. You just can’t. Save that for another day.
This Chili Dog Recipe completes me. It’s a classic and I hope your family loves it as much as we do! Whether you make them for game day, a summer time party, or just a super delicious dinner, they will surely hit the spot.
Looking for an easy Chili recipe to pair with these Chili Dogs? Check out the video below for our 6 Ingredient Lazy Day Chili!
See the recipe card below for full details on how to make Chili Dogs. Enjoy!
Try these other amazing recipes for game day:
- Baked Chicken Nachos Recipe
- Cheddar Bacon Ranch Chicken Tenders
- Baked Cheeseburger Sliders
- Baked Chicken Tacos Recipe
- Crockpot BBQ Pork Sandwiches
Course: Main Course Cuisine: American Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes Total Time: 35 minutes Servings: 8 Calories: 425kcal Author: Becky Hardin – The Cookie Rookie This Chili Dog Recipe all baked together on a sheet pan is the BEST Chili Dog Recipe ever! These Chili Cheese Dogs topped with the best hot dog chili recipe. If you’re in the mood for comfort food (toasted buns, grilled hot dogs, best ever chili, and of course tons of cheese) this recipe is for you!
- 8 hot dog buns
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or spray
- 8 bun length hot dogs
- 2 cups Chili Click for our fave recipe!
- 2 1/2 cups shredded Mexican Blend Cheese divided
- 1/2 cup yellow onion chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped cilantro optional
- ketchup and mustard to taste
- Preheat oven to 375
- Place olive oil in a large non-stick skillet or griddle over medium-high heat.
- Place hot dog buns, inside side down, on skillet just long enough to toast the buns.
- Place hot dog buns on a baking sheet with high sides or casserole dish. Sprinkle onions, cilantro, and desired amount of ketchup and mustard into each bun. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese.
- Place a hot dog into each bun.
- Top the hot dogs and buns generously with chili and then top with the remaining 2 cups cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- To make them even toastier, you can remove foil and broil for another 3-4 minutes, being careful not to burn the buns.
- Allow to cool at least 5 minutes before serving.
Calories: 425kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 58mg | Sodium: 921mg | Potassium: 277mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 590IU | Vitamin C: 55.2mg | Calcium: 316mg | Iron: 2.6mg Tried this recipe?Mention @thecookierookie or tag #thecookierookie!
If you love hot dogs and want to see some gorgeous and delicious hot dog recipes, take a look at these Cuban hot dogs or this chili cheese corn dog casserole.
Stay in the know
Strain the roasted bell peppers and discard all but 2 tablespoons of the liquid. Add the peppers and liquid to a blender, along with 8 of the cherry peppers and 1/4 cup of the liquid from the cherry pepper jar. Process until thoroughly pureed. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
Heat the vegetable oil in an 8-quart stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the flour and begin whisking immediately. Switch to a wooden spoon and cook, stirring continuously, until the roux has reached a deep brown color and smells nutty, about 5 minutes. Add the onion, celery, and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the beef, chili powder, onion powder, paprika, coriander, cumin, garlic powder, and salt and cook, stirring, until the beef is cooked through, about 4 minutes. Add the pureed peppers and the chicken stock, and stir well to combine. Bring to a simmer and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the flavors come together and the chili has thickened, about 30 minutes.
Position an oven rack in the center and preheat the oven to 350°F.
Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat (if you don’t have one, a nonstick sauté pan will suffice). Using a knife, make two diagonal slits on each side of the hot dogs. In batches, cook the hot dogs in the grill pan until they are blistered and hatch marks appear, about 3 minutes per side. Nestle a hot dog in each of the buns and place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Ladle enough chili over the hot dogs to cover them, and then sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the cheese over each.
Warm the hot dogs in the oven until the cheese has melted and the bread is lightly toasted, about 5 minutes. Remove from the oven, garnish with the chopped red onion, and serve immediately.
Note: Any leftover chili will keep, covered and refrigerated, for up to 1 week.
People may disagree on what makes an authentic Coney Island Hot Dog, but you will agree that this Coney Island Hot Dog Recipe is delicious! Perfectly spiced and full of flavor, this is one hot dog recipe you’ll want to keep on file!
PIN IT FOR LATER!
Originally posted June 2, 2012 – photos and post updated May 21, 2018
If you’ve been following Taste and Tell for awhile, you know that I kinda love hot dogs. In fact, I have posted full weeks filled with hot dog recipes. Well, it’s been way too long since I’ve even talked about a hot dog, so I decided to repost this Coney Island Hot Dog Recipe.
But here’s the thing – when I went back and remade the original recipe, I wasn’t totally in love with it. And one thing I’ve been trying really hard to do lately is to make sure every recipe I have posted here on Taste and Tell is a winner. This is also why you’ve seen a lot of oldies from the archives being reposted – I’m going back in and re-testing and tweaking recipes to make sure they are delicious.
Would you believe I made this Coney Island Hot Dog Recipe 4 times to get it how I wanted it? Let’s just say my family has had their fill of Coney dogs for the next little while. (Me, on the other hand? I don’t think I could ever get sick of them!!) So there are some changes to the recipe that I had posted here for a few years, but I really believe that the changes make this recipe so, so good.
I also want to mention that I read article after article online about traditional Coney Island Hot Dogs, and I am convinced that no one will ever agree on what a “true” Coney Island Hot Dog recipe is. And that’s ok by me. I’ve never been to Coney Island, and I’ve never had an authentic Coney Island Hot Dog. But I can say that these are delicious and 100% worth making. And that’s what really matters, right?
How to make this Coney Island Hot Dog Recipe
- Start by browning the ground beef and onion. Then add your spices, followed by the tomato sauce, water, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Simmer the mixture until it is thickened, about 20 minutes.
What to serve with Coney Island Hot Dogs
- Potato Chips
- Potato Salad
- Fresh veggies and dip
- Corn on the Cob
- Sweet Potato Tots
- Sautéed Green Beans with Cherry Tomatoes
More Chili Dog Recipes:
Chili Dog Nachos
7 Layer Chili Dog Dip
Oven Baked Turkey Chili Cheese Dogs from Cooking with My Kid
Jalapeno Chili Dog from Coupon Clipping Cook
Gourmet Chili Dogs from Bev Cooks
Like what you see here? Make sure you are following Taste and Tell for more great recipes and ideas!!
Facebook ** Pinterest ** Twitter ** Instagram ** Google+
or you can subscribe to my newsletter
Looking for more free recipes?
Subscribe to my free recipe newsletter to get new family friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing more family-friendly inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
People may disagree on what makes an authentic Coney Island Hot Dog, but you will agree that this Coney Island Hot Dog Recipe is delicious! Perfectly spiced, full of flavor, this is one hot dog recipe you’ll want to keep on file!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 8 hot dog buns
- 8 hot dogs
- Shredded cheese, finely diced onion, and yellow mustard, for serving
Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the ground beef and the onion. Cook, breaking up the beef as it cooks, until the beef is browned and the onion is soft. Stir in the chili powder, cumin, salt, garlic powder, and celery salt and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Stir in the tomato sauce, water, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until thickened. (If the chili becomes too thick, add more water to loosen it up.)
While the sauce is simmering, heat the oven to 300ºF. Wrap the buns in foil and place in the oven and bake until heated through, about 10 minutes.
Put the hot dogs in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook the hot dogs until they are heated through, 5-8 minutes.
To serve, place the hot dogs in the buns and top with the chili. If desired, top the chili with shredded cheese, finely diced onion and yellow mustard.
Adapted from Every Day with Rachael Ray April 2010
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts.
- Serving Size: 1 hot dog
- Calories: 490
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 1261 mg
- Fat: 28 g
- Saturated Fat: 12 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1 g
- Trans Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 35 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 25 g
- Cholesterol: 81 mg
The Very Best Hot Dog Chili Recipe
posted by Kellie on April 12, 2019 // 16 Comments
No chili dog is complete without the Very Best Hot Dog Chili! Quick and easy, this homemade hot dog chili sauce is better than anything you’ll ever buy at the neighborhood hot dog cart. Sweet, tangy, meaty….this recipe has a secret ingredient that just makes it explode with epic flavor.
Everyone has their favorite comfort foods….the food that you turn to to make you feel good from the inside out. Mine is the Chili Cheese Dog. I don’t know why but I kind of have a love affair with hot dogs….and have since as far back as I can remember.
And you can all keep your lectures about what’s in hot dogs to yourselves. I’m aware…and that’s why I’m super picky when it comes to shopping for my dogs. We’ll talk about that later.
Anyway, I LOVE a good chili cheese dog but what makes a chili cheese dog seriously amazing is the actual hot dog chili sauce that’s blanketed on top. It can seriously make or break your hot dog so it’s best when you take matters into your own hands.
Sure, I’ve topped my hot dogs with canned hot dog chili sauce in the past and I have to say I’m not really a fan so I came up with the very BEST Hot Dog Chili recipe so you, too, can have a seriously epic homemade chili cheese dog. And never leave the house again.
How do you make hot dog chili sauce?
Homemade Hot Dog Chili sauce is pretty simple to make with easy to find ingredients you may already have in your pantry. To make this the best hot dog chili sauce ever….I threw in a few extra things to amp up the flavor like never before.
To start, I used a lean ground beef and mix it’s with a bit of Italian sausage. I love the sweetness the sausage brings to the party and it just makes people wonder what you put in there that makes it so flipping delish!
Then, I added some aromatics like onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, paprika….and the super secret ingredient that will make you think I lost my mind…..espresso powder. Yep, that’s it.
It totally added another level of flavor that took this chili over the top. I’m even thinking of adding it to my reader favorite Chili recipe that already has won tons of awards!
After all that gets a chance to blend together, I stir in the tomato sauce, brown sugar and apple cider vinegar. It’s really the best thing you’ll make all summer that doesn’t require a grill.
My husband ate the rest out of a bowl because we ran out of hot dogs….it’s just THAT AMAZING!
How to make a Chili Cheese Dog?
This isn’t really a recipe for Chili Cheese Dogs but since you’re already here I’ll give you the quick and dirty…..basically, top your hot dog with the homemade hot dog chili sauce…..then top the chili sauce with grated cheddar cheese.
Melt it if you want…but I like the cool, creamy texture of the cheese against the chili. AND the chili will actually melt the cheese a bit so you do you.
What other toppings can you put on a hot dog?
When it comes to topping hot dogs, the possibilities are endless. You could just make your epic chili cheese dog with the very BEST Hot Dog Chili Sauce or you can go classic New Yorker with a pile of this New York Style onion sauce.
Take a quick trip to Philadelphia with one of my favorites, Philly style Italian Hot Dogs. Go classic with a little homemade ketchup and a side of pickles. It’s totally your dog your way.
But if you’re curious as to exactly what I’m eating on my dog….follow me over on Instagram where I’m sharing just about everything I’m eating lately.
If you’re looking for a more traditional chili recipe you have to try these reader favorites:
- Sweet and Spicy Slow Cooker Chili
- Easy White Chicken Chili
- Turkey and Black Bean Chili
- Or make this amazing Chili Cheese Dip!
The Very Best Hot Dog Chili Sauce Recipe
Course: Condiment Cuisine: American Keyword: hot dog chili Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes Total Time: 25 minutes Servings: 12 Calories: 124 kcal Author: Kellie at TheSuburbanSoapbox.com Sweet, tangy, quick and easy, the very BEST Hot Dog Chili Sauce will be the hit at your next party or tailgate!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 4 ounces sweet Italian sausage casing removed
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the ground beef and sausage to the pot breaking it up into small pieces with a fork. The smaller the pieces, the better your chili will be!
- Continue cooking the meat until browned and no longer pink, approximately 7-8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the meat from the pot and transfer to a large bowl. Drain off all but 2 tablespoons of fat.
- Add the onion to the pot with the reserved fat. Cook the onion for 3-4 minutes or until softened. Stir in the garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, cayenne, paprika and tomato paste to the onion mixture stirring to combine. Continue to cook the onions until the tomato paste turns a deep Burgundy color, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, brown sugar, espresso powder and vinegar. Return the beef and sausage back to the pot and stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Turn the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Check for seasoning again adding salt and pepper, if necessary. Serve immediately.
Hot Dog Chili Sauce can be made up to 48 hours in advance and stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container. The Chili Sauce can also be frozen in an airtight container for up to 2 months.
Nutrition Facts The Very Best Hot Dog Chili Sauce Recipe Amount Per Serving Calories 124 Calories from Fat 54 % Daily Value* Fat 6g9% Saturated Fat 2g13% Cholesterol 30mg10% Sodium 337mg15% Potassium 366mg10% Carbohydrates 6g2% Fiber 1g4% Sugar 4g4% Protein 10g20% Vitamin A 500IU10% Vitamin C 4.5mg5% Calcium 20mg2% Iron 1.8mg10% * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
posted by Kellie on April 12, 2019
16 Comments // Leave a Comment “